Sign in to follow this  
Guest spenik

Questions concerning the Kodiak.

How can I control the altitude? There is no vertical rate and altitude setup like in other planes. Is it just like for the Flyhawk? With the Yoke and the arms? :-)And what is the radar altimeter and how does it works?Sorry I could not find these answers in old posts on several forums, neither in the manuals.Thanks for your help.RegardsRakham

The Kodiak does have an Altitutde Hold Button on the autopilot console, which is located down on the pedestal.The Radar Altimeter is a facility that will alert you (with a "bing" sound) when you reach down to a certain altitude, (200 ft by default).For the Kodiak I set it to 300 feet (there is a knob for this) and that is my decision height to be commited to landing, even if an engine failure should occur.

>The Kodiak does have an Altitutde Hold Button on the>autopilot console, which is located down on the pedestal.OK I knew about that one. But still, to go up or down it is only done with the elevator trim or the yoke, right?>The Radar Altimeter is a facility that will alert you (with a>"bing" sound) when you reach down to a certain altitude, (200>ft by default). Ok this is a clear explanation. I wish it was also on other panels!>For the Kodiak I set it to 300 feet (there is a knob for this)>and that is my decision height to be commited to landing, even>if an engine failure should occur.Thank you Malboeuf for your kind attention.Rakham

Guest spenik

"I wish it was also on other panels!"I'll second that! Actually I found a repaint of the Bell 407 with a radar altimiter installed. Very usefull in a helicopter! It's in the avsim library somewhere...

Would be so nice if one of those engineers could design a little program just to add it on all the panels of our choice! :9Rakham

Guest jjlobo

RakhamI'm posting this message to help you with Kodiac Autopilot. If you already know it well, sorry fot trying to teach you the obvious for you.Take a look in the picture below. I've named each AP command in the front panel and in the pedestal. You can use both to control the AP. However, the vertical rate button is only in the pedestal, in its left corner (see boxes in red). Each time you thouch it DN or UP it will increase your rate up or doun.You can't fix a nominal rate like in other planes, but you can get a very smooth descent or climb rate using that button.When you get your desired Altitude, use the knob Altitude Hold, either in the front panel or in pedestal.

Hi jjlobo!You made a wonderful drawing here. No, unfortunately I know far too little about this plane. I will try this tomorrow since it is too late down here (Java).Thanks so much.Best regardsRakham

Guest spenik

He He! This sounds like fun! We could just' yak' back and forth about radar altimites untill they do!:-)Speaking of which, wen flying from ANC to VDZ on a story day, I come very close to some mountains. The radar altimiter is very helpful in showing me if the terrain if climbing of desending, all below the clouds! Paticularly on decent to land. VDZ has a (almost) sheer wall on the left hand side. Helps to know how close to the ground you are when coming over the clif!

I had some free time today to give a try and it is just amazing how simple it is when you know how it really works! Thank you very much for your help.With best regardsRakham

Guest spenik

Say, anyone have any Kodiak repaints?