Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Help for a new user of Fly2

Guest richpress

I am in my 60s.Held a PPL during the 1970s with ratings for a number of single engine aircraft. Did some aerobatics in a C150aerobat.Became too expensive and gave it up.Advised by an airline pilot to take up simming.I did, tried PP99,FU2&3,FS 98,2000, Fly and Fly2. I have been using PP99 mainly because of computer limits but have since upgraded and can run Fly 2 satisfactorily.I must admit I am getting hooked on this sim.I have installed all patches and most of the bells and whistles.I have downloaded the Citabria to try some aerobatics. Its like turning the clock back. There are however a few things someone may be able to help me with.1 Log book. Although the file is producing data I don't seem to be able to access details from the program window.2 I have used the auto land facility in Fly and understood this to be available in Fly2. Pressing Z achieves no response and Shift produces "Co-pilot not active".3 GPS. Does the Alt page work. The MSA displays no info despite what I do.Is this linked to the baro pressure?.4 Mini panel. Is there such a thing in Fly2. This was useful in Fly to control the aircraft from and exterior view.I have been told that there is drag and drop facility.Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Josve

Welcome to the Fly2 Community who ever you are......1.There is a new Logbook in the library that works wery well :)2.There is no copilot in fly23.Don't know4.There is a mini panel in fly2.I have never used it myselves but I know it's in there somewhere :)Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

Guest Roy

4.Just press and hold the SHIFT-key and click on the instruments you need.They will then pop up in small windows that you can drag and drop wherever you need them.The nice thing with this solution, compared to the Fly! mini-panel is that you just click on the instruments you need, and don't have to clutter the screen with more instruments than needed at the moment.Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Guest Roy

Hi Johnny.Have you noticed that the box indicating "plain text message" is automatically checked when you write a reply.You have to un-check it to get links and smilies to work :-)Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Guest spenik

Hey! A log book! Is it for mac?By the way, richpress, I saw that Fly!II was 'like turning back the clock'. Is Fly!II that realistic? I am hoping to become a real-world pilot on day and Might be siting in a cocpit by this May ( hey that rymes!). Will the real thing be that much different from Fly!II? Any thing you, as an experinced pilot, would say to a "young wiper-snaper" would be greatly apreciated!Ever try flying in Hawaii? Clear skys, calm winds, short montains, can't find much better VFR weather then that!

Guest Roy

>Is Fly!II that realistic?First off, I'm not a pilot.But I found it very realistic last year when I, just for fun, took a couple of hours with an instructor in a Piper Cherokee.After using ROTW's excellent Piper, I already knew my way around the cockpit, so the instructor just read the checklist, and I had no problem finding all the buttons and switches during startup. :-)So if you're going to fly a Piper or a Cessna I'd say you have a very good tool in Fly! II.Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Guest richpress

Many thanks.I now have the log downloaded and have already tried out the mini panels. Incidently my grandparents came from Stavanger emigrating to New Zealand in the 1890s.

Guest richpress

Go for it.Most of my flying was done around the Tauranga area of New Zealand, which is known for its extinct and active volcanoes. I have flown many times over the beautiful Bay of Plenty area and the active volcano "White Island." In some respects I have found actual flying easier than using the simulator particulary when doing precision circuits and landings, lining up on long final etc. The feel of a good landing ie flair ,hold off is very realistic. However you will never experience from a sim the excitment of your first solo and the achievment of your wings, the thrill of doing your first solo spin where you think you are rolling over on your back and the Gforces when doing aerobatics. I wish you well.Once you have learnt to fly it is important that you develop a sence of purpose. What do you want to do with your flying? I chose aerobatics.That was a long time ago.

Guest richpress

Yes I held a rating for the Piper Cherokee. I have downloaded ROTWs Piper. Does the model have internal views other than the panel? My port and starboard views are scenery only. No wings to judge level flight etc.

Guest richpress

Great stuff. Many thanks for that. Its great doing a spin using the external view.

Guest spenik

I was thinking of runing a chartering service! Or maybe aircargo...People pay more but cargo doesn't complain if you bring the nose to hard! Size of the plane is everything too! If I use a big plane, I may fly empty seats. If I use a small palne, I may lose large parties to the airlines. Hope to see you in future posts, maybe even to this reply!

Guest Roy

The ROTW Piper have complete internal views, but if you're running the sim in 1280x1024 you can't see them.If you're running 1024x768 everything is there. Even the little window that opens.Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

Guest richpress

Thanks for that. I was running the sim at a lower resolution. I have changed this to 1024.768 which now fixes the problem. Better all round to.

Guest richpress

All good stuff. I suggest that if you have not already done so, join your local aero club. Here you will mix with pilots from all walks of life and experience. You can often get freebee flights if the Aeroclub does any commercial work. All you do is fill the copilot seat to watch and observe. I remember some of the young fellows washing the planes in return for lessons.