Sign in to follow this  

Why are Taxiways often off center from the runways?

I am amazed at how many airport taxiways do not fully connect to their associated runways. I've downloaded dozens of TerraModels airports. I've installed updated taxiways when they're called for. Sometimes taxiways line up perfectly.Sometimes they're totally off.Can someone who understands this phenomenon (and a way to fix it without major editing skills) help explain? Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I'ts probably the result of taxiways being created 'after' someone edited their airport database.Taxiways are unfortunately centered off the database lat/lon value for that airport. So a taxiway is only good if you have the exact same value as the creator had for that airport.You can try to find database updates from the person that created the taxiway, or email them and ask them if you cant find them on avsim or in the zip.If you cant get ahold of the dex file that way, you can try 2 things.Either edit your database, and attempt to 'guesstimate' the new lat/lon values, or You may be able to open the taxiway files, and attempt to re-orient them. (Not sure if this will work, but it something to try, if all else fails)If you want to post which airport, and where you got the taxiways, I might be willing to give fixing it a try for you. Your best bet though, is to contact the original author, and ask him for a dex file, or even the lat/lon he used (so you can input them yourself).Brad

I will generate a small list, but I know off hand that Danbury CT (not sure ICAO code), KSWF and KBTV were off. Stewart (KSWF) was just a small adjustment to the left/right off runway 09. Burlington was significantly off one end of a runway, but I can't recall off-hand which runway. I'll have to fly there to check. But I posted this problem to AVSIM previously with no replies.I may try to experiment with "Taxiway". Is that the easiest program to use, or should I use TerraModels? I thought I saw somewhere that TM does a nice job with shifting taxiways.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Im not sure which tool would be better, it would depend on the airport im guessing. if its just a problem where the entire taxiway system is off by the same amount everywhere, then I would 'guess' that terramodels would be the easiest way, because it allows you to 'shift' the entire taxiway system (the truth being, shift the airport database lat/lon values).I also just had an idea as to why there may be so many misaligned. I believe Fly! II had updated database data, which would have moved (even if just a hair) quite a bit of the airports 'centers'. Im also pretty sure that very few, if any, of the taxiways were updated, and are just carryovers from Fly! 2k.If this IS the case, if the runway databases were updated as well, then fixing the taxiways will be an ugly job, probably requiring you to custom edit the file using 'taxiway.exe'.Does that make sense?And the moral of the story is... do all your database adjusting BEFORE you start making a taxiway! And if you do adjust the database, and are gonna upload it... upload a dex as well.TerraModels is probably the easy way. I will try fixing one of the airports you mentioned and let you know which way works best (if any).Brad

I ran into the same problem when I upgraded from Fly1 to Fly2; a lot of the airports I made taxiways for had moved.I wrote a utility, TaxiFix, that will adjust taxiways to compensate for the airport center location in the database changing. You can download it here:http://members.bellatlantic.net/~racis/fly/index.htmlIf your problem really is because of the airport centers changing, automatic mode should make short work of it. Otherwise, manual mode may or may not be of help (I suppose it's better than a hex editor...)-Frank