Sign in to follow this  

crash to desktop on XP (yet again)

Hi,I read a couple of posts about this, but none of them seems to have the teh same sympthoms I'm experiencing. I'm running XP Pro edition and FLY2 patched to the latest version. When starting Fly on a very scenery populated (resource demanding) airport, like Heathrow of Orly, the frame rate is too low. At some places it takes even a couple of seconds to switch from a view to another. Changing to an external camera and moving around is too slow. Going back (when all object have cached, I believe) is pretty smooth.Of course, approaching a complex airport is a bit of pain because of the frame rate. If I switch to desktop and back to Fly, the slow rate issue disappears (apart from the VERY complex sceneries, which is quite understandable). Viewing and moving around airports goes nicely. But then, at a random time, Fly crashes to desktop. The same happens if I teleport from airport to another. One more thing, after the switch, flying to e.g. Dublin and LOWW I can't see any buildings. Of course, I have them installed. Starting Fly on these airports displays everything.If somebody can give me a hint where to look.Thanks, Rene S.Intel 814, P4 1.7GHz, 512MB RAM, G-Force 2Ti 64MB, WinXP Professional, FLY2 patch .240

Guest tonyc

sounds like a render.ini agp aperture issue. Fly2 has a very unique way with which to handle texture files. the render.ini allocates specific number of texture slots to the video card and whatever the video card cannot handle, the agp aperture transfers it to the systems ram memory. Here's the catch: depending on scenery, it's difficult to know exactly what the correct number of slots should be in order to prevent the agp aperture to kick in. When the agp aperture kicks in, you will experience slower frame rates. If you reduce the agp aperture memory to less than 32, I believe this number(I am not sure) prevents the video card from using it; thus, the video card will crash whenever it is asked to handle more texture than its memory allows, since it cannot automatically let the agp aperture kick in. Here's my render ini for a g3ti200 128 meg. tony

Hi Tony,Thanks for the attachment, I reviewed my render.ini accordingly (although, yours is double memory sized). I didn't have much time to test it flying for an hour or so but when approaching complex airports it seems slightly faster.I'm not entirely sure what youy mean by agp aperture settings? Where to look or set it up? Have noticed another thing - approaching Biggin Hill, the runway didn't show up. This never happened before. But teleporting to the same place displays everything (RNW,TXW and scenery). I don't think it's the scenery issue, may be linked to the render or display settings. Can give it another try.Cheers,Rene S.