Sign in to follow this  
Harald_Kraft

Solution: edit SRTM-data in paint program

Hi Scenerydesigners!Yesterday was a rainy day, so i downloaded Phyton and wrote my first script. So it's far from perfect, but with this script you can:1.) convert a .hgt-file into a .Raw-rastergrafic, which can be edited with a Paintprogram. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 1.0 (which came with my scanner). I als tried Paint Shop Pro V3 (the trialversion for Win 3.1, which I downloaded yesterday - search for PSP311. It is less then 2MByte big)2.) Convert the edited RAW-File into a RAS File, which you can directly use in FlyII. In the paint Program all missing SRTM-Data are a bright green. Elevations start with blue (becoming a brighter blue up to 256 m), then a dark violett (becoming a brighter violett up to 512 m), then a more reddish violett for the next 256 m and so on, until its red for very high mountains. Look at the screenshot and you know what i mean. So it is easy to fill the missing spaces with cut and paste or flatten lakes.If you never have used Python, proceed as described below:1.) download Python from www.python.org and install it.2.) Save my script as H3.py (Attention: Phyton is case-sensitive, so h3.py won't work) and save it in the directorc c:Temp3.) Start thy Python-GUI called "IDLE" (don't use the Commanline Interface)4.) When you see the promt, enter the following lines (line by line and press enter after every line)>>> import sys>>> sys.path.append ("c:Temp")>>> import H3>>> H3.HGT2RAW ('c:/temp/NxxEyyy.hgt','c:/temp/NxxEyyy.raw')The first 2 lines tell Python where to find my script. Line 3 loads my script, line 4 executes my script.Attention!!! replace NxxEyyy with the data you want to edit (can be 47E015). The .hgt file must be in the temp-directory, the .raw-file will be created.Close Python and edit your elevation data.Make sure, you open and save (2 different menues in Paint shop pro) the file with following parameters: 8-bit, 3-channel color (=24 bit), interleaved, RGB-Order, no header, Filesize 1201 x 1201 After you have finished, start IDLE again and begin the 2nd conversion with>>> import sys>>> sys.path>>> sys.path.append ("c:Temp")>>> import H3>>> H3.RAW2RAS ('c:/temp/NxxEyyy.hgt','c:/temp/NxxEyyy.raw')Now yo can start FlyII, press CTRL E and import the .RAS-file. Read my mail from last week about Parameter settings.EnjoyHaraldOne more Hint: To check the alterd RAW-File, open it a second time in the Paintprogram. If now all blue is red, you have saved the file in BGR (BlueGreenRed) instead of RGB-Order. So always make a safty-copy.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here is the script: (to avoid timeout of attachment)# Manipulate SRTM-Data# Attention: HGT-Files are big Endian !!!!!!!!def HGT2RAW (inp,op) : # Convert 16bit Raw 1Channel --> 8Bit Raw 3-Channel# Start with H3.HGT2RAW ('c:/temp/N47E015.hgt','c:/temp/N47E015.raw') infile = open(inp,'rb') # open hgt-file as input outfile = open(op, 'wb') # open raw-file as output a=0 b=0 while a != '': # while not EOF a = infile.read(1) # read left Byte of Elevation b = infile.read(1) # read right Byte of Elevation if a == '': # break if nullstring (EOF or empty file) break elif a == 'x01': # create red channel from left Byte outfile.write('x10') elif a == 'x02': outfile.write('x20') elif a == 'x03': outfile.write('x30') elif a == 'x04': outfile.write('x40') elif a == 'x05': outfile.write('x50') elif a == 'x06': outfile.write('x60') elif a == 'x07': outfile.write('x70') elif a == 'x08': outfile.write('x80') elif a == 'x09': outfile.write('x90') elif a == 'x0A': outfile.write('xA0') elif a == 'x0B': outfile.write('xB0') elif a == 'x0C': outfile.write('xC0') elif a == 'x0D': outfile.write('xD0') elif a == 'x0E': outfile.write('xE0') elif a == 'x0F': outfile.write('xF0') elif a == 'x1F': outfile.write('xFF') else: outfile.write('x00') # write(red), 0 when missing SRTM outfile.write(a) # write(green) outfile.write(:( # write(blue) infile.close() outfile.close() print 'Conversion HGT2RAW sucessfull finished'def RAW2RAS (inp,op) : # Convert 8Bit Raw 3-Channel to 16bit Raw 1Channel (Fly2 RAS)# Start with H3.RAW2RAS ('c:/temp/N47E015.raw','c:/temp/N47E015.ras') infile = open(inp,'rb') # open raw-file as input outfile = open(op, 'wb') # open ras-file as output a=0 while a != '': infile.read(1) # remove red Channel a = infile.read(2) outfile.write(a) infile.close() outfile.close() print 'Conversion RAW2RAS sucessfull finished'