Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Keys,buttons and Axis

Guest richpress

Can anyone tell me in which files/files that fly2 stores the Key strokes,Yoke button allocations and axis setup. Is the windows registry involved anywhere specifically with Fly2? I'm having some problems with my CH USB yoke manfunctioning on an intermittant basis for no apparent reason, yet it functions perfectly well with FLY.Closing to the desktop momentarily corrects the situation,using a very strange key; ALT,TAB,CONTROL.The problem first occurred when flying around Lake Tahoe using downloaded scenery and airports from Avsim-also in some scenery areas around downloaded airports in Norway.It now occurs all the time.There is nothing more frustrating when coming into land and having your yoke and peddles freeze up.I havn't got much hair now but if this persists I'll have even less.I have also been talking to CH products and installed their control manager. No difference.My discussions are ongoing with them.I have checked out using MS sidewinder precision pro (gameport) coupled with CH pro peddles USB. No problems so I can still fly albeit no Yoke.All relative hardware has been reinstalled.I have not tried reinstalling FLY2.P111 1.3GHZ 512 ram GF2 64mb card.Win 98se.Hope you can help,Richard.

Guest chezz

Hi Rich,Did you try using the CH control manager to check if your CH products are functioning and also check "Control.txt" file in fly2 directory for the different axis.hope this helpschris_CA

Guest richpress

Thanks for that.Nothing looks ontoward in this file.The devices check out OK in the CH manager.The interesting thing with this problem is that it first ocurred in the areas I mentioned which were areas producing extremely low frame rates.I have discovered that I may have a problem with one of my memory chips.(no address). Could this have an effect? Perhaps this could be the reason why the closure to the task bar corrects the positition for a while and I can run FLY OK because of less system demand.I am a bit out of my depth here.Richard.

Guest Colins2

Rich,I can answer a couple of things for you.Fly! & Fly!2 both store the key assignments etc. in a file called default.key If you create a modified setup you can save it under another name.(mine is colin.key)The Fly! series does not use the registry for anything.Some add-ons do, but not Fly! itself.I don't have any CH products so I can't really comment on the rest except to say that it may be your system USB drivers. You could try re-installing them.Good LuckColin

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Richard,Chris and Colin told you already the most important things. I just want to add some PERSONAL REMARKS:TECHNICAL1. Did you had that configuration (CH USB yoke and pedals, Win98SE, FLY!II) working for a long time? - If yes, did you install any other USB hardware the last time? I remember bad interaction between a USB ISDN device (when active) and my USB controls (Saitek X45, pedals with USB-adaptor) even with WinXP. Since I got a new mainboard, I have no problems anymore.- If no (that means you have no long-time experience with that configuration) and your mainboard is rather old, then it might be a good idea to have a look at the producers internet-site, may be they recommend a BIOS update for better USB performance2. You should check your suspicious RAM (test-prg)FLY! SPECIFIC EXAMPLE 3. As the big-one of my FLY!II installations (I've got a very big one with 12 GB and two smaller for testing/development) showed rather strange behaviour the last 4 weeks, I spend much time in "debugging". For example, very suddenly I had a framerate of 1 - 2 ! When I removed all DLLs all worked fine again. I restored one DLL after another until that frame-problem occured again and could localize the superquick20.dll, an addon which I had installed for a long time, that was a big surprise, might be there is some interaction with another DLL I installed the last time, just a guess.That's just one EXAMPLE, how complicated FLY sometimes can be (for me). If you distrust FLY it's just a quick and safe test to rename the [..modulespc] folder into [..modulespc-bup] AND create an empty folder [..modulespc] (very important, FLY! won't work without that folder. Use a original FLY!-aircraft as you removed important DLLs for add-ons. If no improvement can be seen, delete the (empty) pc-folder and rename pc-bup to pc. OTHERMake sure that no other program is active in the background (virus-scanner, internet, etc). When your controls freeze have a look into FLY! - options - test controls. What is shown there?These were just some ideas I had to help you, no qualified analysis of the problem.Hope you get it fixed soon!Georg (EDDW)

Guest HeliFLYer

Rich,as I remembered there were some USB problems reported in a German Flightmagazin I had a look in those older year's set and I found a report in Jan. 2001 where they had very exactly the same problem as you have now. The only difference is that you have an INTEL processor and the problem was related to AMDTry the first link (worked), the second showed up automatically, there are downloads for WIN98SE, maybe it helps though you have another processor-type!http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q240/0/75.asphttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1MICROSOFT WRITES:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SYMPTOMSUniversal Serial Bus (USB) devices that are connected to a Windows 98 Second Edition-based computer may not work if both of the following hardware components are installed on the computer:

Guest richpress

Many thanks fellows for your responses.It is comforting to know that there is ready help and a wealth of information and experience available.I will sift through this info and come back with my findings.Richard.

Guest Brad_B

I would look at USB conflict as the problem. USB devices often get assigned a shared IRQ by windows. I personally have to ensure I plug my joystick into 1 of my 2 USB sets (2 sets of 2) Each set uses a different IRQ. Unfortunately the second set shares an IRQ with either my sound or AGP adapter, I cant remember which, but... you guessed it, the only time the problem reared its head was when I was using fly, which requires AGP, Sound, and the joystick. It was intermittent. So...Open Start:Settings:Control Panel:SystemDevice Manager Tab, ensure 'Computer' is selected at the top of the list, then click Properties. 'IRQ' should be highlighted by default. Look through the list for your USB devices, and note if more than 2 items are using the same number as any of your USB devices.Theory, the increased demand from your new scenery floods the AGP IRQ more, which is why the problem is 'new'. So my guess is AGP and USB are set to share an IRQ.If this is the case, easiest solution is to try a different set (usually they are in 2's) of USB ports for the controller.Harder solution is altering the assigned IRQ's. Search web for "IRQ Conflict" for info on that.Just my guess, from expirience. Luck to you!

Guest richpress

Wow!!!!!!!!!! you were right on the button.I had installed a new set of USB ports recently but plugged the controllers into one set.I simply plugged one controller into the onboard set and salutations no problem. I have just completed a flight without incident. The attachment is an image of my computer properties for anything you may want to comment on if you so wish. Once again many thanks and thanks to all those who showed an interest.Good flying,Richard.