Sign in to follow this  
Guest cord

Has anyone afflicted with "can't find valid video mode"...

Guest tonyc

after a crash to the desktop?I am still puzzled as to why occasionally FLY2 will crash to the desktop unexpectedly. When I try to restart FLY2, I get the "can't find valid video mode" error. The only clue that there's a video mode missing after FLY2 has crashed is that when I click the right mouse button on the desktop to access the "properties", all the text is grayed out.The only way to restore it is to reboot the computer. I've searched for clues on video drivers, video card related issues, WIn98 issues, and FLY2 issues. Yet, since it happens only with FLY2, I have not been able to make any progress. So far, these are my theories:1. FLY2 does not like Antialising2. FLY2 has a directx related bug3. FX 5600 nvidia in particular is a defective card4. My motherboard drivers4. My system is unique with respect to this problem5. It's a Win98, FX5600, DX9, FLY2 combination error.The problem is not 100% repeatable:If I want to make FLY2 crash, I simply open a text document in the background and then use "Quick start". Then , as I am changing views, FLY2 will CTD. This will happen very frequently if the video card is set for "application AA". It will happens less frequently if AA is at 2x. If I remove AA, the crashes will be less frequent,but if I use the Quick Start option, I may get it sometime.When I had the Nvidia g3 ti200 I don't remember ever having this problem. I could be wrong, but in those days I simply don't remember losing a "video mode" after a crash to the desktop. Some of you know me. I am fairly computer literate and know how to look for solutions. I've reistalled FLY2 lots of times, changed video drivers , etc. the problem is still there--random. Please reply to this message only if you have had "the can't find valid video mode" error. The only way to get this error is to have FLY2 crash to the Desktop first, and then trying to restart FLY2 again without rebooting the system.tony

Guest cord

Hi Tony,I have an P4, 512MB with NVDIA FX5600 128MB using XP with DX9.0b and 52.16 driver flying without problems.I only get CTD when flying online and using high capacity e.g. approaching detailed airports - maybe my Symantec takes all resources.Changing from Fly to desktop, opening windows and back is no problem.If you need further info write me an e-mail.Cord