Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Autogen tests : fog and trees

Guest laurentC

Hi all,I integrated Steve's new fall trees and added a "fog" feature that reduces the visibility during the trying process of keeping with the 15 fps rate.In the lower left message box the last two figures indicates whether or not the fog is enabled and the visibility distance. You can press many times the fog button if needed. I suggest to adjust first other features then use fog feature as the last friendly fps resort.http://rotw.simvol.org/beta/ project_AUTOGEN/4_TEST_FOG/101804_AVSIM_AUTOGEN_TEST_V10.zipCheers,laurent (rotw)

Guest tonyc

Laurent,From the pics one can see tha things are getting better..... .First, I had to reduce Steve's trees to 64 bit tiles. Second, the fog is a great idea. Is it possible to reduce the medium scenery setting instead? The reason is Sbox. I am not sure if the fog setting will interfere with real weather.I have set my 64 bit tiles in the render.ini to 2000. I notice that there are areas where this number is exceeded--which creates stutters.Also, maybe we don't need real look alike art models. Maybe we need dots...tony

Guest laurentC

Hi all,Well, the fog feature is intended to capture the actual weather adjusted by user and only reduce the visibility value (shown in the weather "other" message box. This way you should still have the real weather plus some extra fog ...?! Tell me if it doesn't work that way.We can't take control of the medium scenery setting (except with the fly.ini setting) at run time. Only TRI can, with core instructions I suppose. If I change the fly.ini, one can't see really what he's doing ... the only way is to act upon the TRI message box scenery slider. What we can do so far :- adjust render.ini for 64 bit huge amount of objects- adjust distance hiding in fly.ini (from 2NM to 8NM or more)- use the autogen window for the settings- start with 64 object/tile- use or not the autohide feature according to your habits for normal objects (and the distance hiding fly.ini selection)- look at the fps and adjust the medium scenery accordingly- use the fog feature as the last resort (with a very gentle reduction) then stop it definitively.You should be able to obtain a good compromise with all this settings +/- tweaked.When we get a good objects placement algorithm we should have less than always 64 obj/tile : outside towns and forest we'll probably have a mere percent of this hightest value, thus less poly to cope with... but we start looking at the fps with the hightest poly situation.Cheers,Laurent

Guest tonyc

Sounds good,Laurent. I will keep experimenting and report.tony