Sign in to follow this  
Guest laurentC

torque & slipstream effects in Fly - fixed wing and helos...

Guest jcomm

While I keep trying to find an available copy of Fly2!, I also am trying to recall my last tests with that sim.I somehow remember that I was not very well impressed by the slipstream and torque effects in prop aircraft. I think I performed a few tests with thw P-51, and varying throttle didn't have any special effect over the turn&slip gaugue. I can't recall how realistic it is to fly the helos either. On a real helicopter pushing the collective abruptly will require quite an ammount of rudder to counteract it. The same is true when you increase collective. Another sitiuation where feet work is mandatory in real life is during an autorotation. For those of you currently using Fly2! fully patched, please help me remembering those good'old times ;-)

Guest laurentC

Hi,As I'm not a pilot I can't say how's it in the real life ... but as far as the understandings I had reading many poh and manuals, you're completely right !I wouldn't say Fly! isn't interesting for those peculiar behaviours you mentioned ... I rather say, the envelope flight designers haven't caught these very features.Unfortunally Rob Young cesased from tweaking and preparing flight models for Fly! because he was really a master in doing such things ... as he's now with MSFS !Fly! should benefit from your adjustments if you could get a copy, because I really think we can model flight envelope pretty well ... almost as well (if not better ... ?) than FS ... and Rob prooved that point very well, producing wondering flights models here and there.Cheers,laurent