Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshieca

I followed an L1011

I was following an AI L1011 today (mine land okay) and I discovered that they use the speedbrakes on the way down. It was just like looking out the window of a real flight. Speedbrakes on, off, on, off and then when it landed they were deployed right on que. This is neat when you discover new "features" even after having it since first release. Yes, I went out shopping to find it the very first weekend and we are still enjoying all of the features!QUESTION: Are the other AI speedbrake equipped aircraft using them on the way down?ThanksBob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

While I can't answer your question, your post raises a neat point:The L-1011 was fitted with something called a DLC or Direct Lift Control. What it did was when the pilot was on approach, this mode was activated, and it linked the spoilers to the ailerons. What this did was deploy spoilers when he wanted to go lower, and retract when he wanted to go higer.If you can picture this, on a standard aircraft, if the pilot wants to adjust his altitude to make it lower, the easiest thing for him to do is to pitch the nose down. But on the 1011, the spoilers would deploy when he pulled the yoke up, lift would be lost, and the plane would sink.This allowed the 1011 to make smoother approaches that were more comfortable for the passengers (although I have never flown one, so I can't say how effective it was)

The L is the best ride I've ever had in the air - smooth as glass and quiet. Too bad Delta retired them - they were great planes.

While this is actually a feature on the L1011, all speedbrake equipped AI aircraft use this when descending, and even on final approach.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

The AI will use them whenever they need to slow down. I've seen them deploy when climbing.

Sam......what L1011 model are you using? Drop a name! =)