Sign in to follow this  
Guest paradoxbox

Fly!II request: Can a developer make a tool like this?

Guest paradoxbox

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone familiar with python scripting or coding in C++ could possibly make a small tool for Fly!II.Basically-It should be an auto save tool. It should check the fuel state in each tank on the aircraft, the airspeed, gear state, flaps position, and if possible the fuel flow/engine conditioner setting. It should then save it to a file in the Fly!II save game directory. It should do this every 5-10 minutes, overwriting the old file each time. This would allow us to restart a flight if Fly ever becomes unstable and crashes. It'd be REAL nice to have this on a long haul, like when I leave my 777 on a flight to Hong Kong and go to work.Is this feasable?Even a simple program to just save a basic fly! file every 7 minutes would be good enough, without all the extra goodies.Cory

Guest roland_lfor

I wonder if the "save scenario" menu is the tool you are looking for ?- roland -* ROTW member *

Guest paradoxbox

Hi Roland, yes that does it, but it's manual. Meaning if I go to work and leave the flight on to fly on autopilot, and it crashes, the entire flight was wasted.If it were to automatically save every 7-10 minutes, it would be possible to restore the flight and saving a ton of frustration. I once lost a flight to Narita from Vancouver, it was not good.. Just an idea!

Guest Chris Wallace

That's an interesting idea. I can't say I've ever set up a flight to fly across the ocean on autopilot while I'm at work :-) but I have certainly been annoyed about losing the progress of a flight due to a crash or lockup.The good news is that there really aren't many limitations to what one can do with the SDK (or Python scripting, the capabilities are about the same)...but the bad news is that there are a couple of problems that make it not quite so simple.First, there is no direct SDK API function to save the current situation. An alternative way would be to mimic the 'File->Save' menu option by triggering the hotkey for it (typically Ctrl-S). Unfortunately this always seems to prompt the user for a filename instead of just re-saving under the current .sit file which defeats the purpose of having it automatic. This seems like a bug to me, "SaveAs" should prompt for a filename but plain ol' "Save" shouldn't...but c'est la vie.Now it would be possible to write a DLL to periodically query all the individual things you mention, save them to a custom (non-.SIT) file and provide an option to re-load the existing state. The problem with this is that it would have to be customized for each aircraft, and you'd have to figure out all the many settings that you'd need restored (I think there would be a lot of them...) So that's not really a practical option either...One thing I just noticed is a Fly.ini setting called "useAutoSave=0"..anybody know what setting this to "useAutoSave=1" does?Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada