Sign in to follow this  

Check it out! New card from Matrox

You should all visit this link and check out the next card from Matrox. Parhelia-512. It supports up to 4 displays and is supposedly several times faster and has more hardware effects than anything from NVidia.[www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia512/technology/surround_gaming.cfm]Check out the sample images from FS2002.Frederick

The four display option might be useful but it won't help framerates unfortunately in FS2002. Also, the latest reviews still have the GeForce4 ahead in most current games and other software. With future software, the Matrox card should lead. NVidia is supposed to be coming out with a bombshell of a videocard in August.

Word on the street is it is a very good card, every bit as good as the TI4600, and better in some respects, but it is not several times faster.One thing is for sure, competition is a good thing. The tables are reversed now. Nvidia sits where Matrox did 4 years ago. The ball is in their (Matrox) court. Lets see what they do.Cheers,

Guest PaulL01

>The four display option might be useful but it won't help >framerates unfortunately in FS2002.Parhelia-512 has built in support for 3 dispalys at once only, as far as "helping framerates" I think you missed the point.> Also, the latest >reviews still have the GeForce4 ahead in most current games >and other software. There are NO reviews yet of this card working samples of the card have only been available for view (not re-view) at a few presentations. There is no card in sight, no final specifications, no names for the cards, prices and benchmarks. And These won't be available until next month. All there is to view is an nice collection of detailed whitepapers, and on paper the card blows anything thats currently available from anyone out of the water. But then Nvidia and ATI have there own announcments to make concerning the NV30 and R300.Paul

Guest SoarPics

I agree, Braun. I've been following this new card for several weeks (though not much info available beyond the normal PR hype). Hopefully Matrox will succeed in bringing some more competition to the marketplace. Then maybe the Nvidia merry-go-round will actually begin to offer some real performance gains. More competition = better and more choices for the consumer.Regards,

A few things...1) Windows only hardware accelerates the primary display. So the secondaries would get software acceleration, slowing DOWN your FPS. So basically, what you are looking at seems to be a stretch of a single window...instead of 800x600, you'd have 2400x600. 2) In my experience (3 cards) with Matrox, they are better graphics machines for design applications rather than games. I know they are trying to break into the market, but we'll see...3) Those monitors they show are the Panoramtech ones I think...$25,000 for the 3x18" model. Those monitors do come with 3 inputs if I recall so you could just get 2 additional PCI cards and have 3 discreet windows instead of 1 stretched one.Thomas LinTaxiwaySigns.comVolunteers (testers and designers) needed, please visit the site for information