Sign in to follow this  

Cessna Flight Computer (found at garage sale)

I used one of these in ground school back in early 70's.It has the moving dial to calc fuel consumption,density altitude,true airspeed,time and distance, true heading and ground speed. Any one out there remember these? Do they still make them? If they are not made anymore, when were they last made? And last but not least, Anyone know where I can get some instructions? I have figured out how some of it works but it would be nice to have a full set of instructions.TksBobG

Guest BobL

BobWhat you have there is Cessna Pilot Center's (a training school) version of an E6B. Jeppeson makes them in the form of a CR-1. As a CFII&H, I've taught many a student to use one of those and actually have mine left over. I actually use while simming. I guess I'm showing my age, huh?It should have two parts. The front side (with the dial) is essentially a circular slide rule. And it's used for all manner of calculations, from fuel consumption to temperature gradient conversions (Fahrenheit to Celsius). It also will compute Density Altitude, Time Speed Distance, Crossing restrictions, a really nifty gadget. It should also have a flat metal plate, rectangular in shape inscribed with crosswind component diagrams, and tangential curves. This plate is designed to slide into the space in the circular portion so that the inscribed portion is viewed through a plastic window on the reverse of the circular portion. The reverse side of the circular portion should also have a circular, rotatable ring inscribed with a compass rose. Together, all this functions as an adjustable vector graph permitting the calculation of groundspeed, headwind component, tailwind component and wind correction angle all the while fitting neatly, cleanly in the space of a kneeboard. And best of all....no batteries.It dates back to the days of the barnstormers and when mail was flown. Navigation was referred to as dead reckoning. There was a longstanding joke in the community that it was called dead reckoning because if you reckoned wrong...you're dead. No VOR, NDB, GPS, ILS or anything else. only needle, ball, airspeed and a map. And for night, a couple of cars along the side of the runway with headlights. For years, it was the standard in the cockpit for flight computers all the way through the early eighties. The electonic widgetry we have today is nice but it has a huge flaw. Electricity. No Power. No Work. The CR-1 functions identically on the front but the reverse, the wind side, is a little different and slightly more complex. I always go back to old reliable, the E-6B.If you're looking for a new one, I'd try www.sportys.com and www.mypilotstore.com. I've used both although Sporty's tends to be a little more expensive. And, if you buy something from them, expect your snail mailbox to be full for the next five years. You can also search for E6B and E-6B using a metacrawler. If it's just a set of instructions you'd like, visit a local FBO that offers flight training. I haven't seen a ground school course in a long time but I'm sure it's still taught and they should have something that at a minimum is inexpensive and probably free for Xeroxing.If you strike out there, email me from the profile. I'll try and come up with an old copy of mine for you through the mail.CheersBobL

Thanks Bob for the nice intro and description. Yes, everything you described is what I have except the metal slide you mentioned is 1/16 piece of plastic. The plastic part says it was copywrited by Cessna in 1970. I will look at the links and investigate. Surely do appreciate the response. Thanks so much and happy dead reckoning.RegardsBobG