Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrewing

Results: FlyII on flat panel iMac

Guest jrewing

Hey everyone,My wife finally got out of the house and away from her new flat panel iMac long enough for me to test out FlyII on it.The short answer: under MacOS 9.2.2, FlyII produced FPS on the iMac were about the same as on my G4/450 with the stock ATI Rage card. The screen seemed a little smoother, but that was purely subjective. The frame rates in the Flyhawk, with complex scenery turned on, building and aircraft shadown turned off, was 3 to 8 FPS, depending on altitude.Hardware Configuration700MHz PowerPC G4256K L2 cache @ 700 MHz512MB SDRAMOperating SystemMacOS 9.2.2FlyII version - 2.0.216FlyII assigned 350 Mb memoryGraphics Options:Rendering: OpenGLGeforce MX/AGP 11024x76832 bits/pixelVideo memory: more than 32MbThe loading time, once the splash screen appeared, was approximately 1 minute and 35 seconds - about the same as my G4.For my simple test, I departed Oakland, flew over the East Bay Hills, then set a cloud deck at 800' with tops at 3000' and shot the OAK ILS 27R approach. The results were comparable to my G4 in every respect - acceptably smooth frame rates, but not exactly what I would call realistic. Again, the screen seemed a little smoother to me on the iMac. Not sure why.When I get the chance, I'll try FlyII under MacOS X. Can anyone point me to the patch that was released for FlyII under MacOS X?Cheers,John

Guest jrewing

Thanks Allan!Maybe I can check out the performance under MacOS X tomorrow, while my wife is out working in the garden and away from her machine! ;-)John

Guest ftessler

John,I'd be suprised if Fly! II's performance doesn't suffer under OS X.In general, how do you like the new iMac? I didn't like the design when I first saw it from a distance, but it grew on me (pardon the pun) up close.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Guest jrewing

Hey Franklin,The flat panel iMac is a very nice machine and the proof is that my wife won't let me touch it! ;-)When I took it out of the box I could tell that it was a well-made design. You can grab it by the display arm, pick it up, and you don't hear any creaking or rattling. It feels very solid and has a clean look.The display is clear (text and color) and has no dead pixels that I can see. The adjustablity of the display is a big improvement over putting old phone books under a 65lb or heavier monitor.The speakers have a remarkably good sound - I immediately noticed this when running Fly and when playing music CDs. How they get the bass response out of such a small speaker is a mystery to me.The keyboard is okay. The mouse ... well, it sucks. Neither of these were an issue as my wife uses a Kinesis keyboard and a Kensington trackball mouse, both ADB devices, hooked up using the Belkin ADB/USB adapter. She just plugged it all in and it worked.My only gripe is that the iMac keyboard has a dedicated key you press to open the CD/DVD ROM drive and there's no other way to open the drive that I have found. She's not using the standard keyboard so she either has to plug in the standard keyboard or always keep a disc in the drive so she can eject it using the finder and insert another disc.The speed of the machine is quite good - a huge improvement of her old 8500 with a G3 upgrade card. She's using MS Office for X, Entourage for email, and MS Exploder 5.1. It all runs very well and her classic apps work fine, too.When I set the machine up for her, I told her she'd have to start using MacOS X (a small lie). I was surprised at how quickly she adapted to the new UI.So far the iMac seems well-designed, reliable, fast, and nice to look at. All in all, we're very pleased with it - and we got it before the price increases were announced. What's not to like?John