Sign in to follow this  

Sound stuttering in Fly!2k

For as long as I've had Fly!2k the sound has always been choppy and stutters during flight... especially when adjusting the throttle or the pitch. IE: basically whenever the speed of the plane changes. Now I've tried it on 3 different macs and it happens with all of them. I usually allocate around 350mb's of physical ram to Fly. I'm running the sound at 16bit Stereo. I haven't tried mono yet or 8bit but I want to avoid those if possible. Just wondering if anyone else has sound problems in 16bit stereo?Thanks,Kevin.

Guest Allan Jones

Is virtual memory on?The only time I've had choppy sound in 2K was when I was running virtual memory. Even a tiny amount of VM seemed to cause the stutters.When running VM while beta testing Fly II (before I installed more physical RAM) I found that other game programs suffered sound chop too. Engine sounds in "Driver" for Mac really stuttered with VM on. Once I was up to 448MB physical and turned VM off, all was back to normal.

Guest ftessler

Allan,It's been a while since I used 2k, but I seem to remember always having problems with stereo sound, but not mono.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Guest Allan Jones

Franklin,I just checked my 2K sound settings. It is running stereo in 16 bit (best) and all sounds except "set-up" are enabled. I'm getting great sound.I recall sound problems a long time back but I'm fairly certain it was before I patched all the way to 1.01.87 (the 2K level).The guy across the street just got a FP iMac -- saw it come off the UPS truck this weekend. He said it was his plan to go top-of-the-line so I assuming it's loaded. I should take some Fly disks over and run some tests. After all, the guy just retired as a station agent for Horizon Airlines. He might want to buy a copy!

Guest Allan Jones

...just wondering how the sound problem is doing.

Hi, sorry for the delay... Thanks for the feedback.At any rate here's my unhappy progress reort thus far.I somehow thought it would be a brilliant idea to upgrade my 9.1 to 9.2.2 and thus get fixed sound and better FPS. Anyway, 9.2.2 completely screwed up my box. Wouldn't boot, etc. After much forum cruising I decided that I was hooped and had to stick with 9.1. So, that's pretty much where I'm at right now - I need to reinstall 9.1 and then I'll try your suggestions. I'm not using VM at all (I have 640mb's physical), but I'll try your suggestion of disabling the setup sounds. I'll also give mono a try. I would just play Fly! II if I could actually get more than 10fps and if I could actually get used to and stomach that god awful grey haze. I have yet to see blue sky in Fly II with all weather settings on clear. How do those screenshots have blue sky in them :(Anyway, thanks again for the help. Will let you know how it goes!Kevin.

Guest Allan Jones

Kevin,I hope you get things back in shape with 9.1.The Fly II "awful grey haze" bothered my until I added one of the sky enhancers. Go the the Fly II library and search for "sky." I can't remember which one I have right now. They replace the default ski.ini with a modified one and you get better sky and the haze problem is largely gone. Get several enhancers and see what suits your fancy.Here's an example of a sky enhancer at work. The 747 picture was with the default sky.ini. The 172 shot was taken after adding one of the enhancers. The time of day and the view positions are somewhat different, but I think you get the idea.