Sign in to follow this  

Fly! 2K... (my very first post!)

Hi.This is my very first (or maiden) post on this site, so I'd like to introduce myself and say hello to the person who recommended that I come here.My real name is Jon Lamont. I'll go by the name (here) of "Sapphire Mk II" because that's what started all of this. The "Sapphire Mk II" is an Australian built ultralight that is currently manufactured by Steven Dumesny, of SAA. The Sapphire is the one that I've chosen to purchase, and is one that launched me into earning my PPL (Private Pilots License). After "thinking" that no-experience was neccessary for one of these and speaking with Steven in Australia, I soon realized that, that would be a serious mistake, and that I'd better get something of a PPL prior to going up in the air in one of these - not to mention trying to control it at the same time trying to figure out the fuel mixture, exhaust gas temperatures, cylinder-head temperatures, and Vne. That doesn't even include the "getting lost" factor and learning how to navigate (without a GPS)!So I found myself getting out the old software that I once tried to play with, but was too complicated at the time, "Fly!2K". After many unsuccessful attempts at take-off, I had to read the manual for some basic instructions... once realized, I took off without a hitch.After buzzing the skies in Fly!2K, unlike anything in FA-18 Hornet, I began to really enjoy the thought of pursuing my PPL, using the software as a basic platform. With all of my excitement, I posted a "Mac Pilots" post in my favorite discussions board on the Apple site. There, Allan Jones found me, which is where I spend alot of my free time - enjoying the topics of "Expansion" of the Beige/Platinum G3.So "Hello Allan, and thanks for the link to come here." Which is now where I'll come for "pilot" help (real or simulated).So that's it for my "formal" introduction......now on to the game!"Happy Mac-Flying"Jon Lamont (a.k.a.) "Sapphire Mk II"

Guest Allan Jones

Welcome Jon!To our other members: Jon is one savvy hombre when it comes to Mac hardware. His posts in the Apple.com G3 discussion forum are always helpful, well-written and laced with good humor. When I saw he was looking for other Mac flyers, I told him about our group. And, Jon, read the other Fly forum, too. Many of the issues with the Mac version of 2K and II exist with the Windoze version, and general announcements that affect both platforms end up there.

Guest ftessler

Allow me to add my welcome to Allan's. Also, I'd like to reiterate what he said about the Fly! general forum. After the Mac forum was set up last August, I found myself spending little or no time there. However, I soon realized how much I was missing, and I returned. I don't post as often as I once did, but I visit at least one a day.By the way, Fly! has enjoyed a long and rich Australian connection. Some Mac users may not be aware that the Mac versions of Sky! and Ground Control, wonderful add-ons from Jak Fearon's how in the world?, were programmed by Australian Andrew Hooke, who at the time didn't even have a copy of Fly!. I was just a beta tester, but the long-distance collaboration was a blast.Sincerely,Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator