Sign in to follow this  

Some interesting news for us Mac users...

Just wanted to share this bit of news I saw posted at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ and also at http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=4522Company Announces (PC) DirectX to MacOS Porting Software - At first I thought this was an april-fools, but a reader noted that Macworld yesterday had an article about a company called Coderus that says they have developed "MacDX" (Direct-X Interface for MacOS) that allows easy porting of PC DirectX based games to the Mac (only the original source code for the game is needed according to the article.)If this is for real, it would mean many PC titles could be ported to the mac for far less cost (and more quickly). That's assuming that MacDX works well, has no compatibility or performance issues, etc.Here's their features listing: * Supports MacOS 9.x and MacOS-X Seamlessly. * Supports wide range of machines iMacs (revision B or later), G3s (blue and white desktops or later), or G4s. * Easily integrated into your favourite development environment They also have downloadable [doc files] MacDX datasheet and case study (using Wipeout 2097).:-hmmm Rich@KLEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest Allan Jones

Thanks, Rich.Good news -- more sims for us!Bad news -- now we'll get the same DirectX driver woes that show up in the PC forum!

Rich,Thanks for this information. It's probably a prelude to the porting of FS2002 to the Mac platform.Wasn't Destineer busy with that?I agree with Allan, it means more fun for us in the long run.Jeroen(EHAM)----------Fly! II 2.0.216 Mac versionOS 10.1.4,. 832 MB RAMG4/400

Guest ftessler

Jeroen,The last time I asked (which was at Macworld Expo in January), they didn't have any idea if the port of MSFS would even happen, let alone when it might begin. The situation may have changed since then, but their Web site makes no mention of the product.-Franklin ------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Would be nice to connect to my PC FS2002 pal and use my Mac.Keep'em flyin'!Bertil PerssonESPC Fr

JeroenI donno why everybody wants to run FS2000 (or 2002). I talked to people who own FS2000 and are glad they have found FLYII. It is mutch more realistic than FS2000, they say. They even say that Fly makes FS a toy or something.But DirectX could also make FlyII much faster. I thought the PC world uses DirectX on the sim game.Happy Fly Flying.Koen

It's the Swedish and Scandinavian scenery and the ATC. And the Scandinavian addons like Swedflight and Texture Arts. Everything else is better on Fly!.Texture Arts was in to a beta scenery for Fly! but stopped and turned to FS 2002. And the Scandinavian sites mostly are FS sites.It also looks like the european version of Fly! II Mac is unavailable due to bugs and other problems. So whats left? In US you can always turn to X-plane and others. But their european and scandinavian sceneries are not good.Keep'em flyin'!Bertil PerssonESPC Fr

Bertilwell here in the netherlands i still can buy FlyII. No problem with that. And there are people busy to create an netherlands scenery. So for my part i'm happyI donne where you live, but i alwasy can buy and send you one copy ofcourseKoen

Simware in Brussels still sells it, so you can order it there:http://www.simw.com/Jeroen----------Fly! II 2.0.216 Mac versionOS 10.1.4,. 832 MB RAMG4/400

Thankyou! I'll keep it in mind. Coming back later!Keep'em flyin'!Bertil PerssonESPC Fr