Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allan Jones

Finally installed OS 9.1

Guest Allan Jones

Call me a risk-taker; call me a trendsetter. After hugging OS 8.6 for longer than anyone in their right mind should, I finally upgraded to 9.1 this weekend.Don't see any immediate change in Fly II but I haven't had time to wring it out yet. I did notice one thing--When the graphics setting box appears at start-up, OpenGL is selected but the box just below does not show my Rage Orion card--it's completely blank and no choices are offered if I click on the box. When I run the sim, it's obvious that the card is working as designed.The other interesting and related issue is with another TRI program, 4x4 EVO. It has a similar start-up graphics box. It says, "no video card selected" and it won't let me proceed unless one is selected, but it won't let me select one.I had dragged the ATI extensions from the previous system folder. My next step is to reinstall the ATI extensions from the ATI install CD and then upgrade the drivers.Any thoughts?

Allan,Congratulations for finally taking the leap forward. I don't think you'll be dissapointed or have any problems as a result ( I hope). It's been a long time since I moved from 8.6 to 9.1, but I do remember some minor extension conflicts but nice gains in system and sim performance.I think once you do a clean install of your ATI drivers you'll be all set. Keep in mind... I think the very latest ATI drivers might require some components from 9.2, like OpenGL , CarbonLib, and QuickTime. Good luck... Rich@KLEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 /Jaguar384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest Allan Jones

Thanks, Rich,I was running OpenGL 1.2.1 and CarbonLib 1.6 under 8.6. The 9.1 installer has the same version fo OpenGL but had the older 1.2.5 CarbonLib. Fly II must have 1.3.1 or higher, so I dragged the newer CL in and Fly works fine.As soon as I find where the ATI install disk is hiding ( :-newburn ), I'll freshen it up. I have the latest ATI package in the download folder.

Allan,Now that your 9.1 savvy, I've found 9.2 to be a lot more stable.Hope you can solve the driver problem. I'm using a Radeon card for Fly!but in the start-up box it only gives the RAGE option. I'm sure my Radeon is working but it would be nice to have had the option to know that you're getting the maximum out of the card.Peter

Guest Allan Jones

Thanks, Peter.The scuttlebutt around the Apple Beige G3 forum (fun place, with lots of typically irreverant Mac folks) is that 9.1 is the "premo" OS for the Beige, but I'll keep my options open. I can still get the original Radeon Mac Edition (not 7000) that will run under 9.1, or I can bump to 9.2.2 and get a 7000. The pre-7000 models are still selling for close to their original retail price, about $50US more than a new 7000. It's suposed to be a better card and still very much in demand.Fly is obviously using the ATI Orion card, as there is no change in the display quality of Fly compared to running 8.6. It just won't show up in the little window at start-up. As the only other program that seems to have a problem is also from TRI, I suspect that there is something in their coding that is more sensitive.The off-road sim would surely work if I could get past that darned start-up screen. If no video card is selected, it won't continue to load. All is not lost if I can't get it running under 9; I saved the 8.6 system folder intact to another partition. Gotta love those extra drives!Having fun wiith iTunes and my awesome $6 sound system (garage sale treasures). Next step is to add USB/Firewire support and get rid of the Cretaceous Gravis MouseStickII.

Guest Allan Jones

To all,I installed the ATI driver updates last night (the package for Radeon/Orion/Nexus running under OS9). Now, both Fly II and 4x4 EVO properly report the card, so I'm back in business. Didn't notice any discernable difference in Fly II, but thought that EVO was a tad smoother. However, as EVO has no hack to display frame rates, I can't be sure. If any of you know a way to show rates in EVO, I'd love to hear from you.Now that all is up and running, I've had a little time to see what effects OS9 had on other programs. PhotoShop LE v5 seems to have gone less than stable on me and there are no updates on their site. I may end up running it off the 8.6 partition. Haven't tried PageMaker yet, but it ceased to be a "mission-critical" tool when I "retired" from doing a newsleter for church after 12 years.NOTE: If you got the ATI October 2002 update, Mike at xlr8yourmac] noted that ATI released a new update yesterday[/b to patch the earlier October one. Apparently there were problems with Radeons and OS9 with certain programs. See Mike's site for more informationThanks for the assurances and hand-holding, guys. OS9 looks like it's going to be fine, and I got an extra printer to boot. We have a local Epson USB color printer attached to my wife's iMac 400DV. With 9's USB Printer Sharing feature, I can now hit it from the Biege G3 over TCP/IP. Before, I had to use a "sneaker network" for color printing (remember those? Move the file to a ZIP or floppy and walk to the other computer).