Sign in to follow this  

New to Fly II, have qustions

Running a new iMac 800, 17" with 768 MB running OS X 10.2 (Jaguar). Initial install o.k. Need recommendations for the following:-Software only came with 2 discs vs. 3 in package??? (Only 2 when opened when I bought it.)-Which control device to use (have a Sidewinder 2, purchased at Apple store, but only came with PC software, can't find downloadable driver). Will return it if better reasonably priced suggestion.-Can't seem to steer aircraft with keyboard, plane goes left all the time.-How do I install scenery?-Tweaking suggestions appreciated. -I look forward to contributing to this forum!Thank you!

Guest Allan Jones

Welcome!First of all, until something changes, you're probably going to get your best performance with Fly II by booting into 9 before launching. Some are getting OK performance with Jag, but I did much better (in limited tests on Dear Daughter's eMac 700 with Jag) by booting to 9. You will also have to boot into 9 to get Fly to recognize controllers right now.I think CD3 is sectional maps. Don't know why you got only two disks. I'd contact the distributor (www.wizworks.com/macsoft) to see if there was a packing error.To use add-on scenery files, unzip and drop the files into your scenery folder. Most are cross-platform.Tweaking: Avoid virtual memory. If you increase memory allocation to Fly, leave enough free memory so that, after FlyII and the OS have loaded, you still have 50-100MB free.To check frame rates, use ctrl-F, but realize that the graph with eat up several fps.Sky muddy-looking? Check out some of the sky enhancers in the AVSIM library. I like one called Blue Sky.Kiss off using 16-bit color. It doesn't help rates and looks bad.I'm getting sleepy so should quit. I'm try to add more tomorrow evening.

Welcome aboard!!If you're flying the prop aircraft, pulling to the left may be for two reasons: 1.) the torque of the propeller (which rotates left) is simulated as per real life, so on take-off you'll have to compensate slightly. 2.) If the aircraft is really pulling hard to the left then the nose wheel and rudder are not calibrated to be on centre. If you're using the keyboard I think the #5 key centers everything, but if you're using a joystick or flight pedals you'll need to calibrate them using the Calibrator program that comes with the software.Allan is right about the virtual memory and if you are familiar with you extension sets you can create a different one for FLY!II with the minimum required - actually I think OSX doesn't use extension sets anymore - this would only work if you were using OS9. The reduced extension set makes a huge difference to frame rates.The instrument panel eats up a lot of RAM so at times it's good to keep them scrolled to the bottom - almost out of view.Have fun,PeterCYOW

Regarding your joystick...I've never used the joystick you're using so I'm not in the position to recommend another one, but I can tell you that you shouldn't need to download drivers for it. Your Mac will recognize it anyway. Welcome to the Fly! community.