Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allan Jones

Gotta crow! New monitor!

Guest Allan Jones

After too many years of using a 15" Apple MS-AV monitor, yesterday we bought a 19" NEC MS97F for the beige G3. Flat face CRT design. This thing is awesome, and very Mac-friendly. It did the plug-and-play thing pefectly and it "plays well" with the Energy Saver CP. It takes up only slightly more desk space than the old 15'"My eyes aren't getting any better as I experience the "mid-50s." Now I can fly at 10x7 and read all the gauges!!

Guest ftessler

Allan,Enjoy the new monitor. Remember when a 9 inch Mac screen was sufficient?-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest Allan Jones

Remember when a 9 inch Mac screen was sufficient?Oh yes.....we still have the SE/30 that started our Mac-addiction. Of course, my eyes were younger then. I remember doing 11x17 newsletter layouts in PageMaker on that thing. It teaches two things: patience and scrolling.

Mac SE?Boy, does that bring back memories. Our company's first computer that launched us into the digital age was a Mac SE. It had a blazing 4 megs of ram, and a whopping 12 meg hard drive and cost over $3,000 with printer and scanner.When it became obsolete, I'd take it home during the holidays and try to fly Falcon using only the keyboard. Man, how times have changed... Rich@KLEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 /Jaguar384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest ftessler

I wish I still had my 128, bought in 1985 for $2,600. The variable speed floppy drive was a blast to listen to. I also liked the way the Mac used to overwrite the video memory when copying disks.If you're interested in the old days, there are some pretty good early Mac emulators out there.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

The good old mac days...My first mac wasn't that old, but then again I'm not too old either. It was a Performa 630... I don't remember the specs... Anyway, there's a really cool site with facts about the older mac models all the way to the most recent G4's. Maybe some of you would like it: http://www.apple-history.com/Happy Holidays

Guest Allan Jones

A walk down Memory Lane!The first Mac I used for real was an SE/20 (8mHz) with 1MB RAM and a 20M HD. This was at work. Later we bought an SE/30 for home with a whopping 5MB RAM, 40MB HD and a 16mHz chip. The new one was "so fast" that I convinced the office to spring for a 16mHz upgrade card for the SE/20.

I did my first stumbling steps of flightsim on a Mac SE/20 an d FS 1.0 and later 4.0. I still run the 4.0 sometimes on a Q610!But I would really have the same constellation that Allan has. Now I have a 300 Mt beige.Keep'em flyin'!Bertil PerssonESPC Fr