Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allan Jones

Annoying GPS Tone--Gone!

Guest Allan Jones

For those who don't surf the main forum very often, there is a recent post that shows how to rid your personal space of that loud ping when the GPS fires up. I tried it and it works for Macs, too.:-yellow1The link takes you to the RealSimulations site for a little .wav file that makes a MUCH more tasteful and discreet GPS tone. Just drop the .wav in your Sounds folder in the Fly! folder. You need to find the line in the fly.ini file that reads searchPodFilesFirst=1 and change the 1 to 0 before it will work. Most of us have already done so to use add-on scenery.This is the thread:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID14 Am I glad that old tone is gone! It was pretty bad on my big speakers!Regards,

Guest jsippy

Not trying to start a "flame war" here, but as annoying as the tone is... I kinda like it.The first time I heard it I actually had a flashback to my first-time "at the controls" in a Beech Sundowner.-Just my 2 cents:)It it good to know, though, that if I get tired of it I can now turn it off.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest Allan Jones

Made me laugh, John!I defer to any real pilot. The last time I rode right seat predates the general use of GPS (but it was a great old KingAir!).My "sound problem" was that our formal dining room has turned into a tech center, with four Macs set up. My wife's computer table is directly behind my back, and my speakers point--guess where! Just beyond that is the homework computer and then my daughter's eMac, all lined up very nicely with the external Optimus 25 speakers coming off my a/v card and an amp.When I crank up an aircraft, all is pleasant as the speakers emit the throaty but muffled sound of a fine piston engine turning over on the other side of the firewall. Fine. Then the GPS kicks in and it looks like a Three Stooges movie as the rest of the family reacts in surprise right down the line!I did it to insure domestic tranquility!

Guest jsippy

Now it is you who has made me laugh,I've seen, first hand, that very same "3 stooges" reaction. Alas, as a result, I have been exiled to the land of headphones for all eternity (or at least until I shut off the engine)Cheers,---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB