Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allan Jones

For Those having Patch Problems...

Guest Allan Jones

Let's do a community test. Please try this and report if it makes a difference:1) make a back-up of the fly.ini file (path: FlyII>System) if you haven't already done so.2) open the fly.ini file with a text editor3) find the section that starts with {UI} (it's really in angle brackets but this site thinks they're html shortcuts)4) toward the bottom of the section is the line:searchPodFilesFirst=1Change the 1 to 0 if it's not already.5) save the changes in fly.ini and launch FlyIII'd be interested to hear if the patch failed when the line was already set to 0.I was answering another post regarding fly.ini edits and noted that the patch.pod file has a generic icon like add-on aircraft and scenery files. That line has to read 0 if you are to use most add-ons. Thus, Fly 240 may not be able to see the patch.pod file without this alteration. I changed mine before I ever ran Fly 240 as a matter of habit, knowing I'd use add-ons. 240 has always worked for me.Please post results to this thread.

Guest ftessler

Allan,I see no difference no matter what the setting. (I've not tested add-ons, though.)However, upgrading to Mac OS 10.2.4 really seems to have changed things for the worse. For example, I can no longer bring up the frame rate display by trying control-F, and I saw some other weird effects (such as a black bar down the left side of the screen) earlier.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Allan, I see no problems under OS 9.2.2 or OS 10.1.2. with a setting of 0 or 1, I was running with (searchPodFilesFirst=1) until now with some add-on aircraft and non terra scenery files by Miles Carey. However I had removed all these files to debug my joystick problem, which I solved. When I reinstall these files I'll let you know if I have a problem.Mike

Hi Franklin,Browsing through the recent posts and see you mentioning the behaviour of Fly! II after having applied the OS 10.2.4 update. I will check tomorrow on my system.Best regards,Jeroen----------Mac OS 10.2.4 @G4/400The Netherlands

Guest Allan Jones

I should have been more specific--was trying to finish the post and make an appointment, so I probably cut corners. Mea culpa!This was primarily directed at those who could not get FlyII to run at all under either Mac OS after patching. Most reported an error stating that a "system.pod" file is missing. If you can get farther than this, then you don't have the problem.Sorry for the confusion!

I didn't have that much problems, the only immediate flaw I noticed was a doubling of the ATC messages, both in sound and visual. I will check again, later.Jeroen Mac OS 10.2.4 @G4/400The Netherlands

The apparent doubling of ATC wasn't there anymore, but when I try to switch vehicle Fly! II suddenly quits without any message. Odd.JeroenMac OS 10.2.4 @G4/400The Netherlands

Allan,Ironically, I have installed FLY! 2 in BOTH my application foldersfor OS 9.2.2 AND OS 10.2.4.I have re-set the "searchPodFilesFirst=0" as requested.I can run in OS 10.2.4, but only at about 15fps, which is prettymuch unacceptable, and I get the "startup.pod" error when I tryto fly from OS 9.2.2. I am unable to launch FLY! 2 at all.Sim flies lousy in OS 10.2.4. I'd swear that it got WORSE after theupdate to 10.2.4.If you have more ideas, I'm listening.Best regards,Jim

Guest Allan Jones

Jim,Please remnd me of your system specs including vidcard. I'm interested in nVidia v. ATI performance in X.When you tried 9, did you boot into 9 or try from Classic. The former should give better performance if you can get the darned thing to start.

Allan, Sys specs are as follows:G4-933 Quicksilver/60 GB/768 RAM/Superdrive/nVidia GeForce 4 Ti/OS 9.2.2; 10.2.4/Ch gear(all USB this time on the way)Regards,Jim

Addendum to above post:Allan,I re-installed FLY! II in my OS 9.2.2 System Folder.When I ran FLY! II BEFORE the patch was installed,the sim installed and started just fine (with the requisite issues,of course.)After trying to overwrite (probably wrong here), I was not able tolaunch FLY! II at all. I received the "unable to openpodfilesystemstartup.pod" squirrely thing. I'm going to try it once more and this time try to extract the patch to theFLY! II folder and hope that that works.Regards,Jim

Allan,Nope...unfortunately that didn't work either.It's not really flyable in OS 10.2.4 for me. Thepatch seems to have broken more than it fixed.I know Rich did his best, but it just doesn't work.I have resigned myself to the fact that if I want useFLY! II, I will either have to run it in 10.2.4. where itis unusable from my point of view, or run it fromOS 9.2.2 (which I boot into, btw), whithout the pleasureof the patch.I guess that's just the way it goes...there's just no way to get around the "startup.pod" thing!Thanks anyway...Jim

HALLELUJAH!!I figured it out (sort of).Apparently the "patch" was not including the .pod files. For whatever reason, whenI looked at the System folder for FLY! II, thereweren't ANY .pod files there.What I did was compare two of the FLY! II systemfolders, and noticed that there were NO .pod filesin the "patched" version.I "installed" another install on my desktop, copiedwhat I needed over to the "patched" version, andfired it up. I couldn't get the patch to "extract" to FLY! II...weird...I am now the proud owner of FLY! II on my G4.(but I'm running it in 9.2.2...10.2.4 is too slow.)BUT...the caveat to all this is that I'm runnningthe PATCHED version- 2.50.240.Regards,Jim

Okay, now I have a couple of issues...I have fog when I start out, even though theweather page says clear.My throttle STARTS at 50%, ALL the time.Is there somewhere I can edit these items?I looked in the control.txt for my throttle,but I didn't see it, and I couldn't find ANYthingrelated to the "fog" issue.Thank you,JimPowerMac G4-933/768 RAM/60 GB/SuperDriveMac OS 10.2.4/9.2.2 (Running in 8.x.x, but NOTin Classic)/GeForce 4 Ti/Ch USB Fighterstick/ProThrottle/Pro Pedals

Allan (or anyone),Okay, now I have more Ch Pro Throttle issues.The throttle won't stay in one place...it "jumps"back and forth very quickly.Throttle travel is starting at 50% (not good),and the airplane is uncontrollable at that point.I'm open to suggestions, and thanks.(the "fog" still persists, however)This is starting to get frustrating...Jim