Sign in to follow this  

Terrascene Anomalies...

Hi folks. I've posted a message here before about my project to add my family's private strip to Fly! II. I'm still not getting it right, so I thought I'd try one more time with a few focused questions. The area is in Southern California near San Diego and is called Pauma Valley. I'll post some pictures here to show you what I'm going for.1) Here is a picture of the valley from above. The private strip should go almost directly below the airplane.http://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p...vrproject_A.jpg2) In my first attempt, I created the terrascene before adding the runway using Voledit/Deximport. The result looked ok, but the aircraft sinks into the ground:http://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p...vrproject_B.jpg3) In this picture it looks like the airplane's shadow, but in fact the aircraft is buried under the surface. Neat trick, huh?http://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p...vrproject_C.jpg4) In this picture, the airplane looks like its still flying. But no, she's supposedly resting comfortably on the ground:http://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p...vrproject_D.jpg5) I then decided to delete the Terrascene scenery, add the airport and runway first and then create the terrascene. The result is that the area just around the runway is raised up way above the valley floor. I should note that before I rendered the scenery, I confirmed that the elevation I was using for the runway matched the elevation of that location in terrascene. Here is the raised runway:http://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p...vrproject_F.jpg***** Ok, now what? ******I'd love some help from anyone who can tell me a basic numbered order of the steps I should take. Right now, I'm using these steps:1) Add the airport and runway to the Fly!II database using Voledit/DeximportI should note that at this point, the runway does not appear at all...it is below the surface of the scenery.2) Create the terrascene. Now the airport/runway is visible, but is raised above the surface of the valley floor.3) Regardless of what I do, teleporting to this airport starts me at 1,000 feet above the strip, plummeting toward the ground....quite a shock!I know there were some other folks here creating runways...like I96...do you guys have any advice for me??? Should I start looking at the flattenator?Thanks a bunch! I'm looking forward to figuring this out so I can start answering other people's questions, not just be the one looking for help.Dan LarsonPauma Valley Private Strip ProjectBy the way...if I can figure this out I have a number of great southern california airports I'd like to release.

Dannol, I might have a solution to this. You may want to try using Terramodels. There is an option when you load a airport that is in your database, that will allow you to adjust runway and taxiway automatically. Try to load your airport using its coordinates. You might be able to load it using the airport code as well. I think it will see the airport as long as it is imported into the database. Atleast this is the way I got it too see I96 for me. Im still doing some work with it and hope to have a finished project soon. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

DanFirst, get rid of your pervious TerraScened area.Second, add the new airport to your Fly database using Vol!Edit and Dex Importer.Third, if you want to add a taxiway do it using Taxiway Maker.Fourth, run TerraScene, make sure that you select

Thanks so much...you guys are really helpful. I deleted my Terrascene and then installed the airport. Much to my surprise, the airport was 3000 feet in the air! This actually confirms that Terrascene was operating correctly when it built a huge platform up to the runway. The weird thing is that after replacing airports.pod and runways.pod with a backup I had, my custom strip was still showing up in the game! In fact, I replaced every file in the system folder that I could find and could not get rid of my airstrip!? I decided to reinstall Fly II and get to where my airstrip was back on the ground (as in your picture, Meco). Then I can follow it w/ Terrascene and hopefully get this thing working. I'll keep you guys posted and send a pic when I get it right, because I think this will be a beautiful little strip.Boy, I'm lucky I'm a computer programmer by trade...that actually makes this kind of stuff fun! Sick, huh? ;)DanPauma Valley Private Strip Project

Dan Out of curiosity I have to ask, how did you determine the runway location for 11/29 at 95L?

I'm using a topo map site that shows the runway location and allows you to determine lat/lon location for each end of the runway:http://www.maptech.comAlso, my uncle and grandfather fly in and out of there all the time, so I'm getting some first hand knowledge from them.Incidentally, does anyone know if runways in Fly! II have to be flat? The strip I'm putting in has a slight downgrade ( 968 ft -> 910 ft ).Dan

I am soo sooo close to getting this thing working. Now the final issue is that using VolEdit/DexImport, I set the altitude for the runway to 925 ft. However, in the game, the runway is placed at 1400 feet. Any idea why Fly! II would not honor my runway altitude settings?Dan

DanI have started working on project 95L of my own. I am been working on So Cal and I live just north of you, in Riverside. So far I have added NZJ (El Toro MCAS Airport) and TAS (Tustin Marine Corps Air Station) and corrected most of the airports in Riverside, Orange and some LA County.Info that I have for 94L has the Airport elevation as 456 ft. as for the runway elevations you can enter them in your runway database using Vol!Edit. Just load your RUNWAY.pod find 95L and you will see the field to set the elevation for 11 and 29.If you would, email me the runway coordinates that you have come up with.meco@usaf.com

Well, my current project is actually not 95L, but a private strip just a few miles from that airport in Pauma Valley as well. Its called 37CL: Lyall-Roberts Airport. Its a strip on a nearby ranch and should be a fun place to land a small plane if I can just figure my problems out. I do plan on working on 95L when I finish 37CL. Here are the numbers I have for 37CL:High end (23):Lat: 33 19' 30.4490Lon: 116 59' 19.8126Elev: 925 ftLow end (05):Lat: 33 19' 21.6945Lon: 116 59' 35.9291Elev: 878 ft.Do you think I'll have a problem getting fly to display a sloped runway? The problem is that this is a narrow valley, and nothing is really flat. Terrascene does a beatiful job of rendering the valley, but I can't seem to get the runway to blend in. Let me know of anyway I can help you on 95L...I'd love to get that one added as well.Dan