Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

Ugly Lines in Terrascene

Is there a way to get better lines ? I always end up with ugly roads and railways. Is it possible to change this in Terrascene ? I use antialiasing and solid color for the roads right now.Or is this solved in render.ini ?All the lines are edited in a CAD program. Is it possible to set a higher resolution there ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Andrew,I think the problem is that we don't have such a wide selection of line types when using non-USGS data.A lot of the features of TS2 are not available with shape data.I guess that the DLG mapping is done internally.I've ben trying to find a way round this for coastlines etc.If you render a section of coast in the US, and then render a section with shapefile data, there is a vast difference in the rendered image.What mapping have you applied to the roads?Colin

Colin,The hard reality is that the ESRI shapefiles lack a lot of details, and are VERY sloppy made. And they have a bad fit to GTOPO30 elevation data. Without editing I would say rather useless !Terrashape is the only reason I keep on Terrascening. Thats a fact.Regarding the mapping I first used a TS road texture, (Roads med.jpg), but right now I experiment with solid colour. An I have checked Antialiasing, not 3D.It looks to me that the lines need more points filled in...if I only could change the resolution somewhere...

Andrew,More points will not give you a better line texture-wise.What they will do, though, is to improve the *shape* of the roads.Editing the vertices, lets you 'bend' the roads around objects such as runways etc. and also, of course, lets you add all the minor roads that are missing completely.The shapefile data is sparse in certain areas, but more detailed data is available. Unfortunately, we (non US) scenery creators have to pay for it:-(ColinPS look for my post on the coastilnes in a few minutes :D

Colin,When I examine the TS tga closely, I can see the faults that will appear in the sliced scenery. So I am going to find a way in Photoshop or PSP to correct the jagged lines before rendering, and if successful I`ll post the method here.The EU should really wake up regarding the bad data and do something about it. Ahh isn`t it terrific to live in the stone-age ?I`ll hang around for the coastlines :)