Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

First time trying to POD an edited TGA

I created TGA files using TerraScene, and afterwards, edited-out some square land-masses off the west coast of Oregon using Photoshop Elements. I edited both the original TGA file and the water mask. I saved the files to TGA format. All looked fine.I then re-launched TerraScene with the "use existing" options and the program proceded to POD the TGA files. Again, all looked fine.But when launching Fly!2, I got an error telling me that it couldn't load some texture (RAW) files. I opened the POD and discovered that all my RAW files in the POD were 1 byte (see attached screenshot).I verified this was the case in the DATADxxxyyy directory as well. It appears the Fly!2 slicer is not reading the TGA file properly, or maybe somehow I'm not saving the TGA file correctly using PhotoShop Elements.Help is appreciated. This is my first time trying this and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly.Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Fly II Pilot

David:It seems like the problem is just with the Water textures. Make sure that the TGA's are in the RGB format and that you didn't accidentally change the name. Double check the .txt file that Terrascene sends to the slicer.Sorry, can't think of anything else.Good luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Rob Westhouse

When you save the files, be sure you are saving them in uncompressed 24-bit format. For Paint Shop Pro, When I select SAVE-AS, I have an options button where I select uncompressed. By default, compressed format is selected.http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Rob:I started from scratch and re-did the TGA files using the two tips above and it worked. So I can only assume one of the issues above caused the problem.Now I have the next challenge. I am going to try to re-do some scenery along the US / Canada border. I read the original TerraScene manual and saw the insert from you. But in reading it, it looks both time-consuming and complex. 1 - I am using a standard Modem from home and so downloading the information from Canada manually takes time. 2 - I've never done the Shapefile business, so I'm just a bit skittish about what this is going to take.The three key places I really want to work on are: Washington State and Canada border areas, Detroit border areas, and Niagra Falls (NY) border areas.Do you have any "tricks" documentation, or any completed file packages that I can import to TerraScene to make my life easier? Perhaps you've already TerraScened one or more of the above places.Thanks for your help.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Rob Westhouse

David,The only package I am currently working on is Globe Tile 168,168. This is the area around Vancouver, BC.There is no "easy" way to do TerraScene outside of the USA. Todd designed the program to be flexible when using non-USGS data. This means you must tell TerraScene what to do with the data.If you are working on a particular globe tile, I could tell you what Canadian data to download. I have converted all of Western Canada landuse data to shapefiles, but I think it might be too large to easily email to you. I have not done any of the Ontario data.Even if I sent you the data, you would have to map the data yourself to get the look you want. The mapping depends on what texture packs you have available. I use a mixture of Fly! 2 and HITW textures as well as manually painting in textures using Paint Shop Pro for a better look.http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

When you finish your work in the Vancouver area, I would really appreciate a copy. I'd pay you if necessary to pop it on a CD and mail it to me. My in-laws live on the Olympic Peninsula and I love fly!ing in the area between Portland, Seattle and Vancouver BC. For the remainder of the work, I'll probably hold off on getting too complex. As is, I barely have time to Fly! (kids, wife, work), much less create ground scenery.Let me know your progress. Thanks.-DK---David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.