Sign in to follow this  

8x8 Detail Elevations

How can I get the Fly! Editor to create 8x8 detail elevations?I've tried importing the Terrascene project RAS output, with 8X8 detail setting, and subdivide of both 0 and 1. Neither yeilded any elevations greater than 4x4. What Im trying to do is import the RAS file from a terrascenery project so that the FULL file is 8x8 detail tiles. I want to be able to copy/paste the 8x8 detail tiles for areas that I am flattening near airports.

What is your subdivide tolerance set to? I believe the slicer will use a less fine grid if all the points fall within the tolerance. I haven't figured out exactly how it uses the tolerance, and I don't think I ever will. lol I bet if you set the tolerance to 1 you will get all 8x8 grids, and the .trn file will be huge. ;-)nick

I tried both 0, and 1... I couldnt find a single 8x8. And were talking about LA, so the elevations go from 0 to about 11,000 ft.

Ok, I might have misunderstood your first post. Are you calling the slicer from Terrascene, or are you slicing "manually" from within Fly. What I mean is, are you going into the editor with ctrl-e and importing the elevations?If you are using Terrascene to call the slicer, that's the problem. I've had very inconsistent results when calling the slicer with TS2. It seems that when you change the slicing settings, at least concerning the elevations, in TS2 they don't actually get updated in the project file...or something like that. I found it once. :-) This is very weird, and I thought I was imagining things until I re-sliced 187152 (with the slicer directly) for that tutorial I was working on and got totally different data than when I sliced it from TS2 the day before. If this is what you are doing, try using the Fly2 editor to slice just the elevations.I am planning on mentioning this in the tutorial. I actually got to do a (very) little work on it earlier this week. If you don't know how to use the slicer in the editor, I might be doing more work on it soon. ;-)nick

Was using the editor, not terrascene. Didnt even know I could set Subdivide within Terrascene.Does terrascene output 'all' the elevation data, or does it dumb it down to a 2x2/4x4 option before saving the ras?

Guest Hagar

I have also been wondering how to import elevation data from Terrascene. But I guess it won`t find my elevation data, because the project txt file is not made yet. Is importing elevation data from Terrascene only made for USGS data? Do I have to put my elevations file in Data-filesUSGS to get it to work?

Hmmm. That's interesting. I don't know why it's not working. I will try it myself if you want me to confirm the problem (or not). What globe tile is it?TS2 doesn't dumb down the data. It just passes the settings to the slicer when it calls it. The slicer reads the ras and creates the trn files.nick

I don't know if it works with any data other than USGS. I'm not saying that it doesn't, I just don't know. Sorry.nick

Guest Hagar

Nick, it worked! I put my GTOPO30 Ras file in Data-FilesUSGS. Then fired up Terrascene and choosed "Import elevations", and checked "Use USGS".The slicer gave no hint it was importing the Ras file like it does when used alone, but I got the right elevations for shure. The txt file was unchanged, with the "Dummy.Ras" entry present. And Flattenator still crashed...like always :(At least I can use this for a fully automated process now.

Guest Hagar

I was wrong. It must have been the other podfile I saw, the one I moved to a temporary directory. Strange...The only thing I can think of now, is to render the images first, then edit the txt file, then try "Use Existing" and see if TS uses the txt file then. Later...

Whom are you talking to? For me it was Globe Tile 172:153Can send you the RAS if you would like.

I was talking to you. :-) I might not get to this until the weekend. I had a few capacitors melt down on my motherboard last weekend and am limping along until I get a new motherboard...which I hope happens Thursday.nick

If you actually have a .ras file already, you might be able to just slice that with the slicer. Maybe you could place it in the TS@ output folder and edit the .txt file to include that file name instead of dummy.ras. Not sure...but maybe worth a shot.nick

Ok, Brad. I had some time tonight and couldn't wait to try it. lol I rendered just the elevation data for 172,153 and called the slicer from TS2 with density=8 and tolerance=50. I got a whole bunch of 8x8 detail tiles. I zipped up the .trn files at a size of about 450KB if you want them. If you contact me and don't hear from me, my computer blew up. ;-) In that case I should be back up and running over the weekend.nick (nick@nik2.com)

hmmm... how did you get that to work? Is there a setting within TS2 for subdivide/density?Dag nabbit...Well, sigh... I want to learn to do it myself. If you can explain what magic you did, that I somehow missed perhaps we can figure this out. If I cant get it after that, yeah... I will want those files :)lol(Sorry, I dont have TS2 on this puter to look) Thx,Brad