Sign in to follow this  

Developping DLL with Borland C++

Hi,I would like to use Borland C++ to developpe DLL for Fly!2 but I get various errors.Have someone ever used Borland C++ to make DLL for Fly!2 ??Thanks.

Guest tonyc

Way back, when Richard Harvey was alive, he mentioned that VisualC++ was the language of choice, and that bbc did not work well.tony

Guest pilotsim7828

I have Micrsoft Visual C++, 6.0! How would it be developed ?Jeff

Guest Chris Wallace

I think the problem was related to an incompatibility between the library .lib files and Borland's linker. Is it just linking errors you get or compile erros too? In any case, there was some discussion around this a long time ago but I don't think a workaround was ever found, so you will probably need to use MSVC++ 6 if you can.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

Rich supplied some examples in the SDKSamples folder, including MSVC workspace and project files, so just start from there. A few examples have been uploaded to the library too, check in the Fly! II Development section.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest pilotsim7828

Any body , Found In Fly! II SDKTried To compile and found an error !Now what ?AttchmentsJeff

Hi,Thanks for your answers... But I just wanted to know if someone have used Borland C++ Builder to make DLL for Fly!, I'm not looking for a solution for my current errors.But anyway, thank you for your quick answers.

Guest Chris Wallace

What is the error message? The screenshot doesn't show it. Have you added the SDK Include folder and Lib folders into the respective folder lists in the MSVC options?Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest CaptainJ

Hi There,Now where talking about DLL's I can ask my question here, Chris do you know how to make a custom PFD screen for Fly!? I'am at the beginning of learning C++ with with the compiler from Microsoft. But I don't have a clue where to begin! I wanted to make one for the Sikorsky 76 I'am working with a few fellow simers. I know it has something to do with pointers maybe you can explane me some stuff?Thanks,Jarno

Guest Chris Wallace

Jarno,Sorry it's been a while in replying to this. There's no magic secret to creating a custom PFD gauge, it is just a matter of putting together a lot of fundamentals from the Fly! SDK. First get familiar with DLL gauge objects in general, I think there are examples from ROTW in the library? You will need to create a new DLL that supports the instantiation of a new GAUGE object (you'll need to implement DLLInstantiate, DLLRead and DLLDraw as a bare minimum) then add the new object specification to the aircraft's PNL file. You'll need to understand what raw data (altitude, airspeed, pitch, heading, flight plan waypoints? etc.) that you need for your PFD. You will refresh this raw data every time your DLLDraw function is called by Fly! For some of these you will have to use API function calls (APIGetFlightPlan, etc.) but most of them should be retrieved through the messaging interface to subsystems in the AMP file (APISendMessage). Once you have the raw data you'll need to understand how to display it on your PFD gauge using the drawing primitives supplied by the SDK (APIDrawBitmap, APIDrawLine, etc.). You may also have to create a bunch of little bitmaps for things like heading bugs, font characters, etc.The most important things I can suggest are to:1 - Decompose the problem in to small manageable bits and tackle them one at a time. For example, you might focus first just on the airspeed display. In order to get that working you'll need to send a message to the airspeed subsystem to get the current indicated airspeed, then display the value as some sort of digital "tape"...just guessing here. That might involve creating a new font for the characters, or using combinations of APIDrawLine and APIDrawBitmap to draw all the little bits and pieces. After getting the airspeed display figured out you'll then be better armed to tackle the altitude display, then attitude, then various overlays...2 - Really, really take the time to understand Fly! fundamentals, i.e. how subsystems and gauges interact via messaging, how your gauge DLL interacts with the sim, etc.I can try to help you through this process if you send me some details via e-mail.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada