Sign in to follow this  
Guest roland_lfor

How turn On Thunderstorm Lighting

How can we turn the thunderstorm lighting ON, using the SDK ?The SWeather structure, used in APIGetWeatherInfo() and APISetWeatherInfo(), does not contain the lighting option.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To my knowledge there is no switch for "turning on" thunderstorm lightning and thunder in the SDK. I believe they are basically meant to come in whenever heavy rain is selected. However, I must also add that this has only been my observation when using METARs (I never used anything but), and furthermore the presence of those effects seems very haphazard and unpredictable even when heavy rain is present.David

Unfortunatly, after several tests, even if I force the heavy rain after METAR import in SB, the lighting effect is always off.I would like to know if someone saw one time the lighting effect without manually swicthing it on.

I (and others I believe) observed the "heavy rain method" to work *occasionally* in Fly 1.0 & Fly2K, but I would not in any way call the method "reliable", as even on those versions of the sim it would fail as often (if not more often) than it would succeed. Worse, I can't say that I've ever seen lightning in Fly II under any circumstances when using METARs, but I really haven't spent that much time flying Fly II either.The upshot is that I believe your trouble with making this work is pretty much the same thing that I endlessly struggled with in InfoMETAR, and I never found a particularly good solution. At least the "heavy rain method" seemed to work some of the time in the older versions of the sim, and that was as much as I could manage.- David