Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Landclass Assistant .inf update

I spent this evening working on behalf of one of Landclass Assistant's fans, Al Douglass, who helped identify a problem with landclass updates. Al discovered a consistent blue border on the southern and eastern edges of each scenery update. Tom Copeland had also alerted me to this issue, but I followed the wrong hunch and came up with the wrong solution.This .inf file corrects the problem. Please do not question the X/Y dimensions--they work, due to the way resample.exe parses the .raw file. By using these dimensions, I am able to retain the 256x256 .raw file format, around which Landclass Assistant's innards are defined. This problem was hinted at in a recent thread, where it was mentioned that resample was looking for 257x257 files to process landclass updates. This isn't far from the truth--it seems that resample reserves the row along the southern and eastern edges--but a 256x256 file can also be used, if the dimensions are adjusted to compensate. I am including the the two lines to update in this post. I have also uploaded the entire .inf to the file library. Here's the updated lines:CellXdimensionDeg=0.0147058CellYdimensionDeg=0.0110293There is a huge bonus in this discovery--projects spanning multiple LOD 5 grids can now be compiled as separate bgl's, and "bunched" in the same scenery folder (be sure to NOT place a texture folder in a landclass scenery folder).Regards,John Cillis - Author, Landclass Assistant and Autoland 2001

Hello John,please allow me to suggest a further improvement of your tool:The scenery generator TerraScene for Fly allows to download usgs landuse data and produces a bitmap using the Fly textures. Alternatively, it is possible to select solid colors instead of textures.Shouldn't it be possible to define specified colors to represent each of the FS landclasses in TerraScene, produce a TerraScene *.tga file just with the landuse data and without roads, rivers, etc., cut out the area representing a LOD5 from that *.tga file, condense it into a 256x256 grid, convert it into a landclass.raw file and process it with the SDK tools, all automatically?Yours,

"Shouldn't it be possible to define specified colors to represent each of the FS landclasses in TerraScene, produce a TerraScene *.tga file just with the landuse data and without roads, rivers, etc., cut out the area representing a LOD5 from that *.tga file, condense it into a 256x256 grid, convert it into a landclass.raw file and process it with the SDK tools, all automatically?"It is very possible to do that, although shrinking it to a 256x256 grid may cause a loss in resolution and some artifacts. But it's beyond the time constraints I've had working with Landclass Assistant--especially now that I have to take a series of business trips for an indefinite time. There is another way it can be done however:There is a free program called ImageJ, which works with .raw files and can import .tga files. You can import the .tga, switch it over to .raw and condense it, then import the .raw file to landclass assistant for editing. I might be able to add a search and replace feature, which would allow you to reassign the color values to the appropriate Landclass values. Sounds slow, but the flushing of the entire 65536 byte .raw file takes less than a second. If you can provide me a condensed 256x256 .bmp for a test area, aligned to an LOD 5 grid and with an index showing what the colors represent, I can give it a go...John