Sign in to follow this  

RE: UK Scenery manufacture-Can I ask the scenery guru's

I'm an interlopper from the Fly! forum and have noticed that you also have discovered a method of making UK scenery using the MultiMap aerial pics. What's more that Andre and Ben have developed the tools to 'automate' both the downloading and the assembly!Fantastic!I have made some composite aerials using the 1;25000 scale pics as these relate more closely to the 7.5m/pix resolution in Fly!2. A very long business downloading by hand.I have joined them together in Paint Shop Pro and was fascinated to see Andre's work in making an assembly tool.I use Terrascene 2.1 to produce a quarter Globe Tile and then sit my aerials on top (having re-sized)and re-slice it into Fly! scenery.I have some inevitable problems to conquer though. Firstly Fly! has existing runways for the UK which must match the positions in the aerials to be useable and the colouring of the compressed jpegs requires improving, another thing Andre had addressed.Am I correct in thinking that Ben's 'UK Download' utility is currently being 'foiled' by a change of url address details relating to the pics on the Multimap site? I can't get it to find any pics anyway.I have re-installed my copies of FU2 and 3 in anticipation of using the available MegaTiles and making my own but do confess that I am worried about the 'legality' of distributing scenery based on other poeoples copyrighted pics. 'GetMapping' has a fairly heavy copyright statement on their site!Does anyone know if we can upload our MegaTiles OK?Perhaps just 'posting the method' to do it is enough at present.DaveT

Dave,you are correct, maybe we should be a little more worried about copyrights of these iamges.. i think we have all avoided this so far... I have put information on my downloader "all pictures are copyright multimap.com and its partners" To others who are making scenery: i reccomend that you at least put this type of message in the readme file...My downloader does seem to work ok for me... I don't know why everyone is having problems with ithmmm :-hmmm

BenYour downloader is a really great idea-I notice that it wants pic url as this:http:www.multimap.com/bz793xgmp/451/900/X4510000Y900000S10000W700H410.jpg and I find that I get the message 'Cannot download -----.jpg from site----- etc)I think the current MultiMap format ishttp://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?clie...59&gridn=431817Any chance you could knock up a version for Fly!2 users that downloaded the 1:25000 scale pics??I've just opened up the discussion on the 'Fly! Developers forum' re using the MultiMap pics. Up to now I've just been 'quietly discussing the details' a few Fly UK scenery developers.By the way which directory does it store the pics in?Can you designate a target directory?Andre's work is amazing too by the way!DaveT

Oops sorry the first link to 'how your UK Downloader' requests pics didn't work! Still you know that I'm sure.My link to the current one was 'guessed at' and was wrong-one too many noughts -it should be http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?clie...59&gridn=431817I believe that will produce a pic of Finningley-but as you see I'm 'obsessed' with that Fly! 1:25000 scale-must get A MegaTile in FU3 to see the glory of 4m/pix!DaveT

that url you posted is directly to the multimap html page.. not the actual .jpg image..the program normally stores images in its own directory... hmm... i guess i can add a target thing for it.I'm a bit busy right now to work on a new one for 25000 images(i'm 15... still got school :-( ) but i'll have a go... maybe next week

Thanks BenDon't let it get in the way of exams!

Thanks Ansgar-Yes Ben's utility does work-I was being stupid and 'minimising' the MulltiMap web page before commencing the download. I see it places all the pics in the 'UK Download' directory as well.I'll try and put together a MegaTile to see how it looks.DaveT