Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Weather comparison

I just spent a couple of hours flying Pipers and Cessnas in FU3. Since we're constantly comparing FU3 to FS2002 here I go again:FS2002 wins on polygon complexity, no question about that. Still, our aircraft with the best of interior bitmaps look as good as those of FS2000 / FS2002. I realize that a lot of them are based on FS 2000 bitmaps kindly converted and adapted by Steve. The latest FS2002 fad, polygon cockpits (virtual cockpits) rarely looks stunning. To be fair, the FU3 F4 view is next to useless but my point is that interior bitmaps are a very good means of building a convincing cockpit. I do have some stunning FS2002 virtual cockpits but the zipped downloads were 20 MB +. Further, these cockpits seem to tax my CPU and cause lower fps.FS2002 also wins on texture complexity when you get up close to buildings, taxiways, dirt and concrete. The 4x FSAA still reveals the edges of some tiles in FU3.But then there's weather! I'll advise you to try FU3 at dusk, in dreary weather and with cloudy skies. The FU3 rain looks like rain -- droplets, horrents of rain -- it's almost like I feel like putting on a sweater when the flight loads. Don't go for the "biggest" weather you can generate though since it's unflyable. You won't take off or land in zero vis with thunder and lightning, definitely not in real life. Rather, try all kinds of "medium dreary" weather with banks of fog, overcast and low light. FU3 turns magic under these conditions. The clouds rolling by look like there's substance to them. The mist looks convincingly real. Bottom line, while FS2002 may look better in bright sunshine FU3 is really at it's best in low-light conditions. Whatever it may lack in polygon complexity is soon forgotten when you test out the weather.A tip, "up" the beacon light intensity a bit in the CFG and you'll be able to see the airports from a distance, even through a veil of mist.I'll make some "medium dreary" screenshots for you unless someone else rises to the occasion and posts some before I do :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Lizardo

I agree with that, FU3 has the very best weather...up to and including stuff you can't fly in. 2K2 (without add-ons), heck even the dog will go outside in that.