Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

FU3 mesh scenery

I took off from Brad Morris to check out this part of the outer terrain. What struck me is that there's a prounounced underlying mesh scenery here, with mountains and valleys. Your textures may not be exactly the same as mine since I've tweaked them (woods from - to elevation, rock from - to elevation, snow from - to elevation etc). However, with this quality of mesh it should be feasible to create a very convincing mountain scenery. I hope that these screenshots will convey the idea -- the outer terrain is much more than a boring expanse of green tiles.If we could make the weather files work correctly in the outer terrain Brad Morris might be a great spot for soaring and gliding.Hans Petter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hans Petter,I agree whole-heartedly :-)When doing my GTF airport upgrade (never released 'coz Capt Rolo beat me to it - though I still prefer 'mine') I found some great features in the surrounding outer terrain and I actually toyed with a couple of small GA airports in the vicinity but I gave up 'coz, after playing with the 'rules.txt' file I noticed that the tile placement was randomised - to the point that I couldn't re-create the beautiful setting that I'd originally had. It seemed pointless to post a package where, after generating the tiles him/herself, the user didn't get what I wanted them to get.I have the same problem with another OT airport (0jdp - Clare's Valley) that I created about 50 miles south of Mt Rainier - a lovely little valley, surrounded by some nice mountain scenery, JUST big enough for the DC3 and good for gliding (I'll email it if you'd like). When I reloaded FU3 this week, I re-generated the OT tiles in the area according to my 'rules.txt' file and the whole area looked different (not so nice). The airport clearing became just a rectangle with some buildings on it - the runway was off to one side! The concept only seems to work:a. when the airport is away from other features and can be placed in a large area of similar tilesb. when the other features (towns, trees, other models) are also placed in the centre of a larger are of similar tiles.The only other choice is to create a huge (and unrealistic) area of tiles to put everything into. I wondered whether or not it was possible to generate 'custom' tiles for specific locations. With the modified 'rules.txt' file, there are many more terrain types than are actually used. I wondered if you could nominate a type (e.g. 'Q') and create a nice tile for that, then only call that tile once, for a specific location. This way, you could create say 6 custom tiles, give each one a very specific set of lats and longs and have each one appear just where you want them. This way you could possibly build a whole (small) town in OT? I assume that you can turn rotation off etc? Of course, my attempts at custom tiles haven't really taken off yet :-(Anyway, thanks for the pointer, I'm off to Brad Morris for a look!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************