Sign in to follow this  

solved my freezing problem

just to alert folks, I rebuilt my computer..put in a motherboard with kt266a chipset, 1700+ amd proc, with ddr ram, 256mb.For the first time I had the dreaded freezing.I tried a few things without reformatting my hd, but to no avail. I decided to clean the harddrive and start over.1. Reformat C2. installed mobo latest drivers/bios3. installed dx 8.14. installed vid/sound/modem drivers5. installed fs2002It froze some...I then started fs2002 without hardware acc, and it worked well, then I started fs2002 with only a minor amt of scenery...ok, then full up sliders, and it was ok!Then,...I installed McAffee virus. Now the ground looked like the sky. Nothing I could do would fix it.Un-installed fs2002, re-installed fs2002, no changeUn-installed McAffee, and installed Norton AV.Now the ground returned, but it froze up! LOLI decided to get ready to start over with another reformat, but before I did I checked the motherboard site to make sure I had the latest 4 in 1 driver. I did, but I noticed it wasn't very recent. So I went to Via's website and found a much more recent 4 in 1 driver set.Downloaded it, and installed it.NO FREEZING AT ALL.Sliders maxed, Awesome views of scenery, smooth flying...smooth as silk.Just thought I'd pass this along in case my experience helps someone else.Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

One thing I've noticed about mobo's with VIA chipsets in them is that they are VERY finicky about the sequence in which you install drivers. My system isn't real recent (well, relatively, 1.2 Athlon using an Asus A7V133 mobo, 256 mb PC133 Ram, Asus 7700 GEForce 2 GTS Pro card 32mb, SB Live!) and one thing that the Vias are finicky about are the sound drivers more than anything.Also, was it your experience that you couldn't install the 4 in 1 drivers (I recently updated mine) unless you booted up and installed them in safe mode? It was that way for me (using WinME).Once the 4 in 1s were updated, all was well again. I have a brand new set of GEForce Asus drivers, but I'm scared to death to install them, cause my current driverset (21.83a) is working flawlessly.