Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Robert Driscoll's flt3.cfg

I downloaded Robert's flt3.cfg from the library and tried it out. On my first try the sim froze at start-up and I had to do a hard reboot. Then I edited out anything "specular" and it worked. What does it take to run the "specular" settings? I've got a Voodoo 5 5500 video card and Robert has some other 3D card. I'm curious to learn whether anyone else has tried this configuration file and specifically, what will work with my Voodoo 5.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

The bit of the configuration file that Hans is referring to is:<<;--TERRAIN HAZE: Controls the haze on the terrain. Its default value is specular,;--as specular is more compatible with terrain than with models and clouds.;--Options are "specular", "multipass" (or "MT"), "fog"TerrainHazeMethod specular;--SKYHAZE: Specify whether to use fog, specular lighting, or multi-pass effects for;--rendering haze on clouds. Its value may be "fog", "specular" or "multipass".;--SPEED: Specular is the fastest method, followed by fog then multipass.;--VISUAL: Specular is best, followed by multipass then fog.;--3D Drivers: multipass is safest, followed by fog then specular.;--The default value is multipass.SkyHazeMethod specular;--MODEL HAZE: Same as above, but controls the haze on 3D models (default=multipass).ModelHazeMethod specularHazeMethod Specular>>I have some sort of NVIDIA card (I forget which one) switched toanisotropic filtering (but specular also works with mipmapping), andknow very little on the technical side of what will work on different cards (OK, I'm a bit hazy on the technicals).If you have tried the CFG file I posted and your system crashes, the most likely cause is the hazing method, so reset to your previous settings or put in the safe defaults recommended above if you have problems (like crashes).Also note that the file includes 5 different hazes, selected randomly when you fly (not my feature - this is an inbuilt feature of the configuration file set up by FU3). You need to edit the file to change it from random selection to a preferred haze, and instructions for this are included IN the configuration file at the relevant point (under SKY, not HAZE as it refers to both).The two important commands here are: sky_NumLowLevelHazeProfiles 5 ; Define this to specify which profile to use, else one is chosen randomly. ; Format: "sky_UseLowLevelProfile (1 to numLowLevelHazeProfiles)" ;sky_UseLowLevelProfile 1To use a preferred option (eg default), remove the ";" and change the "1" to the option you wish to use (a list of options is included in the file).Being a quiet and peaceful person myself, I prefer violent sunsets and thick soupy hazes - makes those chance encounters with Mt Rainier more interesting. But develop your own hazes, experiment!See ya round,Robert.

I think I forgot to mention that my cumulus clouds got very dark with Robert's cfg. I basically got black and brown clouds during heavy rain while dark gray would seem more correct. Evidently, Voodoo 5 reads some of these parameters differently and it would be interesting to get the opinion of other Voodoo 5 owners. To correct the clouds I'll have to skew the color balance one way or another. Otherwise Robert's cfg works fine with my card, as long as I avoid the "specular" settings. Is correct that Voodoo 5 doesn't support "specular"?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest cornclose

Hans,On the contrary, when I was experimenting with FU3 haze methods shortly after I first got FU3, I found that the Voodoo 5 supports specular lighting perfectly. It was with my experiments with my Geforce2 GTS (an nVidia card) that the specular method would not work properly, giving me occassional black clouds and a few other anomalies.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Now I'm a bit confused but happy to learn that the "specular" settings do work with my Voodoo 5 :-)I removed the ";" editing out the "specular" lines and everything was fine. I still don't understand why the cfg made my sim freeze the first time that I tried it. It might be related to my entering of lines to enable rudder pedals while the cfg had coordinated rudder enabled. As it stands now I'm using all of Robert's recommended settings, the only exceptions being that I have added the lines for rudder pedals and have disabled auto-coordination.I'll recommend Robert'c flt3.cfg since the orderly lay-out and all the comments make it easier to share and compare various tweaks. If we all base our tweaks of flt3.cfg on this commented file we can discuss tweaks and preferences without any risk of adding redundant lines or staying unaware of some of the options.best regards,Hans Petter