Sign in to follow this  

FU3 stalls at touchdown

I recently upgraded to an AMD XP 2200+ w/ ASUS GeForce Ti4400. Installed Windows 2000 and reinstalled FU3 + patch + flt3.cfg file from my previous machine. Frame rates are a dream except at touchdown, when they drop to 1-2 fps for about 10-15 seconds and then recover. Same thing happens during crashes. I seem to recall this problem occuring on my original installation years ago but can't remember the fix. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.Cole Smith

Guest twsimfan

Cole,I haven't encountered that particular problem but I'm sure one of our members will be able to help you out. At least you knew to install the patch... with that video card FU3 would lock you up without that.Welcome to the forum. I hope you will stay around and join the group!

Guest CaptRolo

Cole; I have 1800xp and geforce2- not having a problem with what you described but I have a thing where it seems to stop for a split second and then resume . Like the information is not flowing in a stream from hard drive .Especially when changing scenes or landing .I have ata 100 HD 7200 and 512 ddr 2100 ram 200 buss.Been trying to figure out what just where the bottleneck is .CaptRolo

Guest jonpoint

Cole,A few things happen at touchdown (assuming you don't crash, otherwise, many things may happen!). The taxiways switch on, the logbook updates and the AI 'engine' registers your landing and treats you as 'on-the-ground' (i.e. stops telling you to 'go around' after you ignored them for the entire approach!). Most of my FU3 crashes occur during flight and seem scenery related. As a scenery package area comes into view, an error occurs loading some object (sometimes a popup appears and you can click 'ignore') and you're looking at your desktop again :-( . This seems to be under control now that I deleted everything and reinstalled Chris Low's package sets :-) .The other time is just upon touchdown. I have only experienced this since upgrading my PC (Athlon 1700+, Geforce 2MX etc). I believe it occurs because I now run FU3 with everything on max (except volume) and 'it all gets a bit much' just at touchdown. It also only seems to occur in bad weather or with lots of ai traffic and 3d models around (never had a crash at Ranger - well, not the PC anyway).Try:Other airports (or removing packages)Turn down your ai trafficCalm weatherIf any of these help, it may help to track down the problem. I hope it's not an Athlon+Nvidia problem - I've already heard some strange stories.Regards,Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Thanks, everybody, for the replies. I'll try swapping out video cards and a few other tricks, too, and post the solution if I find it. This is a great forum and sure beats the newsgroups!Cole

Guest twsimfan

Cole,"This is a great forum and sure beats the newsgroups!"Thank you, sir. We try. This is a pretty good group we have here! :)

ColeI had exactly the same problem like you until I by chance discovered that my MS Forcefeedback joystick was the reason. The problem was the same with and without forcefeedback enabled. I now have a cheap but good WingMan Extreme joystick and no more stuttering at touchdown.Do you have a MS Forcefeedback joystick? - then try something else!Regards Eivind