Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Textures "on final"

A few more shots of my "Big Red" livery project. I've solved a few issues but not all. I've got to find out where that red "nose" is coming from -- the nose cone is supposed to be white with the red tapering down along the sides. It looks fine in ResViewer but something is happening as I launch the aircraft in the sim.There are a few limitations that we'll have to live with and they're all a result of the mirroring of textures. 1) The number on the vertical tail has been reduced in size. The real "Big Red" has a big number all across each side of the tail but this makes part of the number mirror to the opposite side in FU3. I've dodged this problem by scaling it down and limiting it to the front part of the vertical tail.2) The distribution of red at the back of the engine shroud is being compromised by the mirroring. It's supposed to run across the engine at an oblique angle and this aspect works fine. However, the inner sides of the engines mirror to the outer sides, which creates some problems as we get a band of red on the inner sides that are not supposed to be there. I changed the window texture. For the first time we'll get a lighter texture for the windshield / side windows and I think this is a closer match to the real Baron images that I've seen. best regards,Hans Petter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hans Petter,Lookin' good! I've found repaints to be a combination of frustration and success. The mirroring doesn't catch me out as much any more but the 'where is this texture' problem can drive you crazy :-(For fun (!?!), try rivets! I'm about to post my latest DC3 package but when I was developing it I played with putting rivets on the textures. After much work, I had something which looked amazing considering FU3's 256col graphics BUT, when viewed on a PC with no AA, it looked like one giant moire pattern! Alas, I have redone it with more subdued rivets! It should be posted this week.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

The interior views are almost finalized. It's all been hanging on the front right quarter view which was a tad dark. I've tried to lighten it, import elements from other images etc but I finally found a better solution. I emailed Ed again and he'll rise to the occasion once more :-)I expect a right front quarter view in a few days, same perspective as the first one but with "a kiss of flash" to lighten up the shadow. Then I'll cut out the 3D areas once more, send it all to Steve Hess and you and we'll all contribute to making one of the most realistic Barons ever for FU3 as well as for Pro Pilot :-) I emailed Hennie and asked for his revised Baron flight dynamics. He'll send me a ResViewer file soon and I'll do some test flying and comparisons to decide which one is better.Actually, we might all compare his flight dynamics to the default Windhawk right now by flying one of Hennie's latest Baron uploads. It's a shame Ed doesn't have FU3 since his opinion would be most appreciated in deciding how a real Baron is supposed to handle. Cornclose, if Ed can vouch for the PP Baron (or, tell you what's wrong with it) you might work as a mediator and compare the FU3 Baron to that of PP.best regards,Hans Petter