Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

New mobo, processor and OS

I've been absent for a while now. Except for being busy the main reason is my new computer and my new OS. I got a 1.2 Ghz processor and a new motherboard as my old mobo quit performing. The more controversial thing is my upgrade to Win 2000. Time will show whether it was a good or a bad idea. The capacity of my primary disk is 80 GB and my old 30 GB disk has been added as a slave.This is the story: My local computer geek strongly recommended an upgrade to Win 2000 since he claimed it was more stable and would utilize all of my RAM. He shuns Win ME and doesn't like XP, the latter being due to the fact that one has to ask for uncle Bill's approval whenever major changes in hardware are being made. (His PCs rarely get all the panels back on since he's constantly modifying things inside the cabinet). Win 2000 is based on the NT "engine", yet it does allow the direct access to the core of the OS (DirectX) that games require. However, it uses a special version of DirectX that I had to download. Since he had an English version of Win 2000 I went for it. (I insist on all of my software being the original English (US) version rather than a "regionalized" language version with folders and system files being renamed).The main issue is drivers -- any new OS requires different drivers. I've found that the analog CH flightstick doesn't work. CH has a driver that's supposed to provide basic performance without supporting any button assignments. I tried those drivers but I didn't manage to make them work. It seems that the USB controllers are the only ones being fully supported in Win 2000. My USB pedals seem to work but I'm still waiting for the CH yoke USB that I ordered. Anyway, it seems that it's a good idea to stick to Win95/98 or ME if you want to use analog controllers. Flight Unlimited runs fine, despite the fact that I just copied it from another drive as I got a new disk. I may have mentioned previously that I've been running FS2002 unregistered (no registry entries) for a long time. The reason is that I just copied it from a drive that was going down and I didn't bother to reinstall. Any instance of FS2002 worked, as long as I called the main exe file. Not anymore. FS2002 crashed to the desktop the moment I tried to launch the program. I just did a reinstall "over the top" and it started working again. This is where it gets interesting -- even my backup versions on the old drives work now. This indicates that FS2002 puts some files in the main Windows / WinNT directory that makes the program work. As long as one instance of FS2002 is (or, has been) properly installed any backup copy will run. Since I installed "over the top" I retained addon aircraft and gauges. Anyway, as FU III is concerned it seems that no registry entries are required, even with a new OS.As soon as I get my all-USB controller set-up I'll be back. I can already tell that 1.2 Ghz of processor power was a good idea. I ran my sims on Win 98 with my new mobo / processor for a few days and the fps were excellent, with no hiccups. I'm in for some excellently fluent flights soon, despite nasty weather and hefty scenery add-ons :-) Further, this mobo will accept processors up to 2 Ghz and I may upgrade to even more oomph later.best regards,Hans Petter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hans Petter,Great news, you're back on-air! I agree that Win2K has problems with older drivers - we 'upgraded' one of our Win98 PCs to Win2K then couldn't get the scanner (parallel port SCSI) to work at all. I then had a similar problem with a new laptop running XP - only the USB Zipdrive would work, not the parallel port version. Then I discovered that my 8 channel data logger (serial port) wouldn't talk to the PC even though the software loaded OK :-fumeSuffice to say, the PC went back to Win98, the laptop has to hook-up to the network to access the Zipdrive from the Win98 PC and I've resurrected an old PII400 PC with Win98 on it for the datalogging/measurement side of things! I still have an uninstalled copy of XP in the top drawer :-)As far as having no registry entries for FU3, I remember some time ago that you mentioned this, so when I got my new HD, I zipped (well, Ace'd) the entire set of FU3 directories to CDs. After doing the OS install, I just copied FU3 over and voila (love that word)! Too easy :-beerchugOh, the GHz clock speed helps eh? :-kewlJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Hans;Jon ; I am in process of going to MOBO and processor upgrade AMD 2000 MP-XP . I also purchased Win 2000 professional to upgrade OS. I have USB yoke and pedals . Have had a problem with mobo(A7V333-ASUS) not booting because of mem failure .seems like it doesn't like the PC27000 mem stick.Got another one from company to try . I will let you know how it works out .If and when I get it running and driver upgrades .Also Did you get Win 2000 SP3 upgrade ???My disk came with it .CaptRolo