Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

Video Prob w/FU I (DOS)

I've a couple different flight sims, and I bought this a couple of years ago at Wal-Mart, and was only going to install it when I got this one project done, as an incentive. Well, that project is finally complete.This is Flight Unlimited, DOS, circa-1995, and I assume it's what is now referred to as FU I, although there is no Roman Numeral 1 in the title.The problem is when it starts up, after I get the still Looking Glass title screen, with sound, and after the still Pitts aircraft screen, with sound, the sound continues with birds chirping as the screen goes blank, and remains blank. In fact, my monitor goes into sleep mode! The green light on it goes amber! The chirping birds continue, however. So, the PC doesn't quit/lockup. Therefore, it seems like a video card problem.System setup :200 mHz, 160 MB, ATI Expert 98 (Rage Pro chipset), plus, a Voodoo II, Digiview 15" monitor, CH Virtual Pilot Pro w/pedals. I don't have the latest drivers for the ATI, but the ones I have are newer than the FU, so I'm guessing they're okay.I've been to the ATI support site (which is really good!), but couldn't find anything for problems with FU. A few years ago when I first bought the Expert 98, I was having display problems with MS FS 5.1 (also DOS), and there was a specific fix listed there for the FS 5.1 problem. That symptom isn't the same as the one for FU (the display gets all scrunched up at the top of the monitor), but I tried it anyway to no avail. However, that fix is not listed there anymore, although identical symptoms and the same fix for other sims/games are still listed, which leads me think that perhaps there was a fix at one time for FU, maybe not - I hope so.Thanks in advance for any help.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Unfortunately Ian, there's no change. BTW, I am running this via a DOS-only boot-up. I also tried it, after the patch, in a DOS Window in Win98 SE. Same result -- after the first 2 intro screens, monitor goes black, monitor light goes amber. I have never had this symptom before in over 15 yrs of using PC's. I've had the monitor go black and the PC simultaneously lock-up many a time, but this one's a little different. The geese, crows, and aircraft sounds keep right on playing after the screen goes black.Was there ever a compatability problem with using a Voodoo II with the regular video card, even if the V II is not actually being utilized ?The AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS files used in the DOS-only boot are essentially the same as ones I use for another DOS flying program, Jetfighter III, which also requires loading the CD. I'll post them if need be - I'm not at home now.Thanks, Ian.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Have you tried fiddling with the univbe driver?(Memory is fading on this one....I can't remember what to do, but have a poke around for files that look like univbe and try running them! You can't break it any more that it is at the moment!)Ian

Guest R_Driscoll

I seem to remember this topic came up recently as a fairly long thread - it was something to do with the bundled version of FU I not having the scenery areas included, as I recall - it might be worth hunting back for this.

Guest Quaxo

Dave,You can run FU without using the univbe driver. The performance will be lower, but this may fix some compatibility issues. Try running the sim with this command line: flight +nounivbeMaybe this will work for you...Cristian

Guest jonpoint

Re: "flight +nounivbe"I seem to recollect having to run it this way with my old ATI16mb VESA card under DOS.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************