Sign in to follow this  

System lockup during FU3 install w/ WinXP

During install under WinXP (no compatibility mode), it was trying to read the "Scenery Disc 2" but going nowhere (continued periodic read light on CD drive). No success when I tried to cancel out of disc read or Setup program. Also, could not regain control with Task Mgr. So finally I just shut down the cptr.I found FU3 listed under Add/Remove Programs, but couldn't remove (said my "Flight III u.log" file was corrupt). FU3 not listed under Start/Programs. But re-insertion of FU3 Install disc shows option to Run, Uninstall, etc, as if program installed. I deleted the FU3 folder, and now can't figure how to reset Registry so as to attempt a re-install (this time under Win98 compat mode).Any ideas? Thanks-- Larry H

Guest twsimfan

Larry,I have FU3 running in XP. Not sure if I had to try twice... I did with several older programs. I'd track down that "corrupt" file and try again. And you are right... it doesn't need compatibility mode.

Yes, I have it running under XP on my desktop, but this is with a notebook cptr (not that it should matter).And I did look at the "Flight III u.log" file, but it was unreadable (hieroglyphics), and I wouldn't know how to repair it, anyhow.So it's now been deleted, along with rest of Flight3 folder.I'm thinking I might do an install OK if I opt out of the extended (or whatever they call the non-local) scenery, since that calls up the "Scenery Disc 2" during install, I think-- except that I can't do any kind of re-install as long as system thinks it's installed already! (as shown by listing in Add/Remove and by the "Run" option on window that comes up when I insert Install Disc).I see a "Key" for Flight3 in the Registry, but need to study the procedures there a little more, before I feel confident simply to delete it! --Larry H