Sign in to follow this  

FU3 and cruising altitude

I have searched the manual and came up short...how is the cruising altitude set?When I file IFR, I am always given 4K feet cruising altitude, I would like to plug in my own numbers.Thanks,Tony in Miami

Guest juvat2

Hi Mrtonyg,Its been my experience cruise altitude is related to distance of destination. No need for a cruise alt of +10,000 if the destination is only 45 miles distant. Another factor with the distance is type of aircraft your in. Don't expect a high cruise in a 172 or Beaver.Climb aboard the magnificent 747 and fly down to Portland, you'll be given a high cruise alt on that. The Beech and Lear are given some good ones as well. Fly out of Arlington to Portland, or, if you have outer terrain generated, Salt Lake City to 'Vegas. Long hauls like that. If you have the Fu2 hi-res installed go from Seatac to Sfo. Take a lunch though, its a long flight. Unless you pick DLM's mighty Sr71, then just bring your clubs and swope down there and play a couple of holes for lunch. Seatac to LA is another long one. LA is a package for Fu3's outter terrain available here at the library.Take care,Jim B.

Guest Robs

Jim,So for the outer terrain can you download new high res ground and scenery packages?Could you provide a link to a good place to start (small download - small muck up risk stuff)- a file or page just so I know where to start reading.Rob

Guest juvat2

Rob,The only person that comes to mind who's working on high res outer terrain is Bluejay. He hasn't posted here lately. He was having some success as he was posting screen shots of his works here now and then.As for outer terrain packages? Right here at the library I bellieve are Greatfalls.zip, Flagstaff.zip, MB003.zip which has Las Vegas, Grand Canyon East and West airports, mb022600.zip enlivens Portland Oregon and will add Radar controller to guide you too the outter terrain and a fully functional Portland Intl. airport-"After succsesfull installation you will be able to fill a flight plan to SF, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas or LA.Other good ones are Jackson Hole, Phoenix.Jim B.

Guest juvat2

Another good one is lax-beta10.zip. You'll be able to IFR to Sea-Tac if you like. Way to do it. Select airport, region, Seattle, fly. While in the parking location, get your atis info, request taxi clearence from ground control, then tell ground control your ready to copy IFR to LAX. Ground will give you the usual info, set your transponder at that time. When your airborne, switch to 119.2, select ..is with you. They'll respond with the heading and altitude info to get you to Lax.Suppose you want to start from Lax. Select the Seattle region from the Airport screen. Escape, select quick flight, location, select the map icon to get the big map that shows the high-res and outer terrain.If you'd installed Lax correctly, Lax will be a blue icon (Large controlled airport), click it, select start from parking location. Start your flight, this time tell ground your ready to copy IFR to Sea-Tac International. Once airborne, you should periodically select ...is with you to ensure you didn't miss any corrections to your flight path from control.If you prefer San Fran to Lax or vice-verse, select San Fran region from the Airport screen. If you've never seen them before, get ready for some very bland outter terrain textures.Jim B.