Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dann

I just generated the outer tiles...and now I have a que

Guest Dann

I generated the outer tiles, modified the configuration file accordingly, and installed the awesome Clare Valley.But, can anyone tell me just exactly what generating the outer terrain tiles does, from a visual standpoint? Are there more airports now? (I didn't do a real before/after comparison).Dan

Guest Allan_D

Hi Dan,I generated them tiles a couple of years ago, Back when I was working with Ralph on the Sandpiont airport in the outer, Or maybe about the same times as you were flying into James Valley to get your spinner washed by Lola :-lol The only thing it did for me was mess up all my shore lines, At other places, I had buildings at LAX in the water and Ships on the shore. A lot of my Outer Airports along the west shores of the US were messed up, I think it was supposed to help enable us to assign tile numbers for different places to make our outer look better, but I never figured that one out.I ended up taken them back out.Hopefully someone will pop in here and give you a useful answer,Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest juvat2

Hi Dan,You should've gained more airports. Add this comment to your flt3.cfg if it's not already there also: extra_airportsThere are lots of places to fly to, many packages are available here at Avsim and I think Frankshangar has outer terrain packages as well, to name a few.Take care,Jim B.

Guest glidernut

Hi dan,If you did NOT have the outer terrain instaled.And you tried to fly off the map, by flying in a strate line.Then you can.And you can keep on going in a state line fore ever,without ever leeving the highly deataled terrain.But sooner or later you would recogniz a proninant feecher in theland scape that you floow over 5 minits ago, and if you cept on goingin a state line in another 5 minits, you would see the same proninant feecher agen.Another 5 minits and you see it agen, and so on and so on for ever.You are flying over a mirer imiged landscape. This mirer imige landscape, no mater how good it looks, baiers norelaton to the real world.So its no good for puting real world airports on it.But it is good if like me you like to fly low and slow, sight seeingand exploring the mounain passes.Even after 2 yers or more, I can stil inadvertantly wonder off themap and get lost.glidernut. :-wave

Guest juvat2

Hi Dann,This list is from Steffens 747 Realism Challenge Readme.txt. The packages will wake-up your outer terrain region."you will need a Flight Unlimited Installation WITH full outer terrain installed, and in addition to that you need the following files if you don't want to sit/land at an empty airport from time to time:* Jose Lopez' LA airport,* Markus Brunners outer traffic controler (including Portland, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas airports)* Captn Rolos Outer Airports: Eugene, Walla Walla, Flagstaff, and Great Falls * Captn Rolos phx_slc_fix ILS frequency fix* Big Dogs Phoenix Sky Harbor airport,available at Frank's hangar at:http://www.flightsimsetc.dhs.org/fu3packag...es/Phoenix.zip"Somemore very nice outer terrain specific packs:-Additional Lakes and Rivers by John J. Voznak(lks_rvrs1.zip) available here a Avsim. This one will require outer megatile regen but well worth it.-Jackson Hole Airport FLED package for FUIII by Dan Sullivan (jackson.zip)-Sandpoint Airport by Allan Dawson and Capt Rolo (sandpoint.zip)The textures in the outer terrain are replaceable/editable. To learn how, get these 2 from the Avsim library:-Gtl Editor (gtleditor.zip) by DirtyMac-OUTER_TERRAIN_EDITOR (outer_terrain_editor.zip) by Looking Glass StudiosBefore your regenerate for the Additional Lakes and rivers, you may want to read thoroughly the documentation in the OUTER_TERRAIN_EDITOR. You'll learn how to make a few line changes in the Rules.txt to add even more realism to the shore lines and plus you'll gain an understanding of the process in generating the outer terrain.Take care,Jim B.