Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Input needed for next UK CD - Everyone intrested please

Guest Quaxo

The new UK update CD is really near now, and I need a little advice from you. There are quite a lot of improvements and additions in this new disc; so I thought it might be better to change the previous "update method" for this disc.For the previous updates, I only added the new or changed files, and they had to be copied over a pre-existing, working UK-South install.Now I thought it would be easier to add, in the new CD, the whole UK region folder, with all the files (except the old terrain files of course, as they are on the other 7 CD's). This would be easier for everyone, in my opinion:1- Who already has a working UK-South folder, can just rename it to something else, then install the new folder, then move the /maps subfolder from the old to the new folder;2- For who gets all the discs together, things would be much easier. In fact, instead of having to install the base pack, then the 1st update, then the 2nd, then the 3rd, you would just have to unzip the new region folder from the last update disc, and then to unzip all the terrain files. Much easier IMO.Anyway, I would of course include detailed install instructions for both cases.The only drawback would be that, if someone developed some add-on over his UK region, and this is not included in the CD, it would have to be manually reinstalled. Anyway, if someone has an addon he would like to see included on the CD, just tell me, and it will be included! :)Please answer, I need your opinions... ;-)Cristian

I would prefer a full, finished package rather than a series of patches and updates. But then, we'll end up making updates and expansions anyway, adding Driscoll packages to it :-) Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Yes good.This would be easier for everyone, in my opinion.glidernut

I Haven't got a clue what your talking about!I just can't wait to get my hands on the pack and see if my old school in Berkshire is on it!Graeme (getting very excited) McMillan!UK

Guest glidernut

Graeme, Send me an email.glidernut. UKjohn.lewis@freeuk.com

Guest Robs

Christian,I think you already have your answer but it sounds like everyone would like you to fit it all in if you can to may install as complete as possible. I am sure most scenery modellers would be delighted if you gave the Christian stamp of approval to the quality of the add on eg airports that are complete and tested by users.That way you can more on with tweaks on the next release.It has become clear that beacons will be a global (UK south) issue and cannot be dealt with just with one scenery developer everone has to agree where the beacon is due to screwy coords etc.I am sure there will be other issues but more can be achieve with coordinationPersonally - please put all decent add-ons and packages you know about so I have as up to date as possible - if you can include heathrow or needle etc with the authors permission and any POI files or AI files then great. If they are missing then I'll know they need doing and will start!Rob.

Guest Quaxo

Rob, Yes, I think I had my answer! :) I'll change the update method then, and make it more "straight-forward".I'll include everithing available at the moment: a "basic" beacon file, Heathrow, the Needles, all the correction to the classification made till now, the POI.txt,... and of course, the new corrected elevation, and the new terrain area. The new disc will be the "current snapshot" of the status of UK. (there's still no AI).The available modeled airports are very few... Only Heathrow and London City have buildings for now. But Robert Driscoll is working on Gatwick. I think the next update cd (after this one) will be full of packages and airport! (or at least, I hope so... ;-))If I can, I will add the VFR roses to the map (see my other post)...Cristian

Guest Robs

ChristianI am hoping to add Filton myself.Someone has mentioned AI and other airports.Sounding good!Rob.

Guest qvdg

Hi I am working on Bristol EGGD (currently trying to build the rwy). As for AI I don't think anyone is working on AI for UK as yet. I read the doc on AI but quite frankly have little idea how to exploit it. I think perhaps we could start with something easy like a/c parked on the apron - any takers ?.QvdG