Sign in to follow this  
Guest qvdg

Runways -Question for Mr Driscoll

Guest qvdg

Hi Rob, I am in the process of building a runway for Bristol (EGGD not Filton) using your tools. I have modified two of the Gif files so as to remove the "R" and "L" using Microsoft Photoeditor and saved to new names both ending in zeros. However when I use Fixmip I get a "Bad File Error" on step 3. I have checked with other untouched Gifs and no problem. Is it perhaps a Photoeditor particularity ?Cheers, QvdG

Guest Robs

Do you need an airport plan for Lulsgate with beacons and frequencies and taxiway positions etc?Does Mr Rob D need stansead or London City?If yes then email me at robs@freeola.netRob

Guest jonpoint

(Answering for Rob whilst he's 'Field Tripping' with students this week (no, not magic mushrooms but food technologists!)Your problem is that you can ONLY 'mip' GIF'87 files. When you save your changes, the editor is converting them to GIF'89 (no good). You need to run a simple command-line ute called 'simplgif.exe'. I posted it to Rob ages ago and I think he included it with one of his modelling uploads. Very few programs allow saving in other than '89 format these days which is annoying. I use 'simplgif.exe' ALL the time :-)If you can't find it, email me and I'll send you a copy ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

The latest release of FIXMIP (ver 3.0) is more tolerant of GIF files - it can read some '89 formats. Have you updated your FIXMIP? Its been in the library for some time.I know I don't have a nickname, but Mr Driscoll is a bit formal. Rob will do, but since there are billions of Robs on this forum I sign myself RobD on posts. Or maybe you can suggest a nickname for me? (preferably a polite one I suppose ...). And I'm back .....:-hah

Guest jonpoint

Hey Rob!Welcome back - I hope your students were well behaved ;)As for the nickname, Mike suggested I call you 'Slavedriver' because you're always wanting planes ready at all hours of the night and day. I was thinking 'The Modeller' as you've not only done lots of it but got us doing the same but then I thought about Forest Falls and thought 'Fall Guy' or 'The Man from 3D River '! Cleatus (the slack-jawed yokel) said something unpronouncable which took a few tries to understand (through the missing teeth and effects of a bottle of Jack) - 'Overshoot', relating to your CVA 747 'landing'. BTW, he's still got the wheel buried somewhere in them hills! "Yer gun need wunnadem met'll 'tecter doodads ter find it now" he says ;)Then I hit on something original and very relevant (unless you've sold it) - 323!According to your office, 'workaholic' may also be appropriate :-beerchugAgain, welcome back :-)Jon 'Pointy', 'Mr P', 'Dude', 'Durn Bass Player', 'Neil', 'John-O', 'Dad', 'Bloody', 'Estring', 'Bstring' (got a new 5-string bass) Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Rob Welcome back from the bush. I am/was using version 3.0. It seems to open the file (because it is displayed in the top window) but then reports "File Not Found". The sanfran.pal is in the directory so I don't think it is that. On the other when I use the simplegif which Jon kindly sent me I get a "Disneyland" palette on the segment in question.With respect to the ".e" I have a vague notion of how the parts mapping section works but haven't yet decrypted how to define the "points" part for a runway of length 2011x46m...;) Thank you kindlyQvdG

Guest R_Driscoll

Then check the FixMip.ini file to make sure you have the correctdirectory paths - these can be text edited (see instructions!).This is my version:FixMip.ini:HOME c:utilgamesmodelsWORK c:utilgamesmodelslondonVERSION 3.0So you would need to change the directories to reflect your setup.The Work directory tells the program where to find the palettes.The Home directory tells the program where your GIF files are.RobD (I am NOT 323! That's a lousy nickname. And the others are toolong. Try again.)The students were well-behaved and the field trip went smoothly. Butthe lecturer was very bossy.

Guest R_Driscoll

Sorry QvdG I missed your comment about defining points.On a piece of paper, Break the runway into segments such as "piano keys","numbers", "centreline" etc.Determine the length in meter of each segment, for example using anaerial photo or by designing it from scratch on paper.In the ".e" file, add points pairwise in left/right combinations.For example, for a runway of 2011x46m, where the piano keys are at thestart of the runway and go for 70m, your first four points would be:-1005,23,0 (where -1005 is half of 2011 so that model is centred-1005,-23,0 for easy placement)-935,23,0-935,-23,0...Now define triangles in PARTS to cover this:4,N,0, 1,(2,0,1);4,N,1, 1,(2,1,3);(0 and 1 are the part numbers, (2,0,1) refers to connecting points2, 0 and 1 in that order, and 1 is the material number, which youmust define in the MATERIALS command - see example)Next texture these parts (parts 0 and 1) in PART_MAPPINGS using0,(0,1),(0,0),(1,0);1,(0,1),(1,0),(1,1);which gives one repeat of the texture defined as material 1. TIP: keep building and checking your work as you go.

Guest qvdg

Rob Thanks for the infoI did read instructions: Home and Work were set to same directory -changed to be different -same problem :-grr . I tried calling the .pals .gifs just in case but no luck.Nevermind, I think I will leave the laying down of the asphalt to it to the experts.Cheers,QvdG

Guest R_Driscoll

Can you make a zip of of your current working directory for the runway and send it to me, and I can try and debug it. If it is a simple error, it would be a shame not to solve it. And its probably a bug in my program anyway that's causing the problem.Rob D.

Guest qvdg

Hi Rob, Could you post your email address as the AVSIM mailer doesn't seem to support attachments.As you seem to be blindingly fast on all that is object creation, purely hypothetically how long do you think it would take to build a simple building like this one ? ;) Cheers, QvdG

Guest R_Driscoll

"Blindingly fast"? with a compliment like that how can I refuse.Give me a week.RobD

Guest qvdg

RobGreat thanks in advance. Cheers, QvdG