Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Can't upload images

I was going to post an image and went through the usual procedure. The pop-up window said that the image uploaded OK but it didn't show as a text string in the attachment box. When previewing the post I confirmed that it didn't go through. (Or, maybe it did upload but failed to be connected to my post). What could be wrong? Is this part of the new login issues that affect users with active firewalls? I have accepted "page referral" to be able to log on and this post proves that it works. Has anyone else experienced that images upload without showing?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hello Hans, I have just uploaded images in my "Vor rose" thread, and it worked fine. I have an always active, and rather aggressive, firewall running (Zone Alarm Pro), and I didn't have any problem... Maybe it's a temporary problem for you?Cristian

Well, we'll see. I just configured Norton 2003 again, adding ftp.avsim.com to the list of specially configured sites and clicked "permit" for all of the options. Then I tried to upload a wee image again (35 kb JPG) and got the same result. It seems to upload and reports being uploaded but it is not being added to the attachment box.best regards,Hans Petter

I've tried all the browsers that I've got now, currently writing this in IE 5.0 (Yes, I'm sort of a contrarian, leaning towards Opera and Mozilla).Well, even Microsoft's browser says "Your file was uploaded to the server and the filename has been placed in the attachment textbox".As you all know by now this isn't true. Just to make sure I tried to upload other JPEGs and got the same message yet nothing appeared in my attachment box. Unless the latest Avsim server upgrade has implemented some non-standard code that only IE 5+ can read this issue isn't browser related.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Hans Petter,I just uploaded 5 images OK - it was a little slow but OK.When you say 'the pop-up window said that the image uploaded OK' do you mean that the filename disappeared from the upload 'box'? If it doesn't, it didn't 'go'. I read your post before I uploaded and therefore watched carefully to see what happened. At the precise moment the 'gh37658945h0086i.jpg' appeared at the bottom of the message screen, the uploaded filename disappeared from the upload box. I use IE6 but, as you say, this shouldn't be browser related.You may still wish to check your ftp settings in Windows (they are not necessarily browser-based but can be accessed through IE under 'Internet Options'). I use the 'use same settings as Internet Explorer' setting and have never had a problem - with uploading files anyway... ;) Regards,Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

It was Norton Internet Security's ad blocker. When I disable the ad blocking the images go through. Actually, it may be unfair to run ad blocking on this site anyway since that's how Avsim makes a living. Further, Avsim ads may actually be of interest. However, I hope they don't give us the "pop-up hell" that some sites use to push all kinds of merchandise and offers. This is my marketing advice -- whenever I buy something through the internet it's because I read an interesting preview, browse to the vendor's website and purchase. Off-topic, repetitive pop-ups just turn me off and are downright counter-productive from a marketing standpoint.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Ah hah!Try using 'popup stopper', available free on the net. You do sometimes have to turn it off for some sites (or usually when uploading/downloading) but it's just a matter of right-clicking it and hitting 'exit'.Works for me ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************