Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

FU3/UK Questions...

Guest cornclose

Hello chaps,I have not posted in this forum for some time (but some of you may remember me). I have just installed the UK South region for FU3 after Glidernut so kindly supplied me with the CD's (thanks John!).My first impressions are positive. I like what I see, and am sure it is going to get even better. Well done developers!I have a few general questions though, not all specifically directed at the UK South region :-1. Anyone know what the exact bounds of the scenery are ? I flew due West from Silverstone on my first flight, and soon came across (after about half an hour) what appeared to be a 'cutoff' point where the photo textures ended. I assumed that the region covered the area that you see in the region map (for example as seen when you set the weather). So I'd like to know if there is something wrong with my installation (I doubt this) or indeed what bounds the scenery has.2. I think I read somewhere that the weather generation does not work as well in the UK region. How is this, if it is true ?3. I have installed my UK South region in a separate copy of FU3 on a different hard drive. I removed the outer terrain from this copy upon the advice from glidernut, but would now like to remove the Seattle and San Francisco regions too, making it a pure UK installation. My question is, what is the ideal way to do this. I have browsed the FU3 structure and removed folders accordingly (for outer terrain) and all seems well, so confirmation on doing this would be appreciated for Seattle and San Fran regions.4. Are there any plans for a UK North region ?5. The last time I ran FU3 in anger was when I had a K6-2 550Mhz with a Voodoo5 5500 64mb, 256mb, and an IBM 75GXP hard disk. It ran very well with the US regions with most settings at about one third to half way. I also ran this with a tweaked cfg file. Then I was getting typically 15 to 20 fps with no objects switched on using insignificant weather (dropping through the floor in thunderstorms) at 800x600.Now I have an Athlon XP 1800+, 768mb, a Geforce2 GTS 32mb (which I had before too, but now my V5500 is broken!) and the same IBM 75GXP hard disk. I intend to get a new video card soon (either Geforce4 Ti4800SE 128mb or if funds allow the Radeon 9700 Pro). I get frame rates typically 25-40 with all settings turned up except AI at about 50%, this time 1024x768. Frame rates still drop down below 15 in bad weather though, and this is what I'd like to avoid. So, what system specs are you guys running FU3 with at the moment and how does your performance compare to mine ?In both systems I run Win98, DirectX 8/8.1.6. Now this is the one I hate to ask. What are the recommended addons to get my UK scenery upto scratch with you chappies ? Glidernut detailed some, but I am wondering if there are more. Also, what other addons are 'recommended' by you all. I have stuff like ResViewer and Weather Unlimited, one or two addon aircraft but that's about it.Well that's quite enough for now.Best RegardsChris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Lots of questions Cornclose--I'll try to suggest answers to some of them :-)I set up a separate FU3 installation for UK South. I set it up without the outer terrain since the western US didn't make much sense in England. If you want to go through the ordeal of installing once more do the following:1) Copy and paste your current FU3 to a different location2) Uninstall FU33) Reinstall FU3, this time without the OTYour original FU3 will work just fine--just make a shortcut to the main *.exe and run it. The new installation can be modified by deleting the Seattle folder in "Regions". Put your UK South folder in as the only region in this FU3 installation.Essential downloads: Get Southampton, Stansted, the latest Heathrow and Gatwick. Get Lundy Island and Stonehenge.Less essential: Browse through Gideon's site or Unlimited Design and get repaints that fit the region.ATC is a bit strange at the moment but I believe somebody is working on it. best regards,Hans Petter

Guest cornclose

Thanks Hans Petter,I suspected that I just needed to delete the unwanted region files, but just wanted to be sure.I will be sure to get all those downloads too, along with the ones glidernut gave to me. It's just that the avsim library can be difficult to find the required addons, particularly if you don't know what you're looking for (as mentioned in another thread I think).Anyone got anything to add regarding the other questions please ?ThankyouChris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest glidernut

Chris EHo, Its you!Iv only just conected you with that websight.Welcom abord Chris.Right lets get strate into it.(1) Yes, what you discribe as the "cutoff point where the photo textures end",is how it is for me too, and presoomably for everyone els too.When exploring the boundris of the scenery or of clouwd models or anything els,there is a trik you can use caled the ZOR mode.When in the game perss Ctrl + z and you can cuver large distantses in secondsinsted of hours.The exact bounds of the scenery are in REGIONS UK-South region.cfg file.If you can understand it that is? I dont. (2) Yes its true, we should be abel to change the orientation the weather fruntby draging and droping.We should also be abel to change the direction and speed of the wind bothe biferand after the frunt by draging and droping, but we carnt.We think its sumthing to do with the siz of the pictuer in the wether skreen,and or the magnification levels of the wether skreen.The pictuer in the wether skreen can be resized or replaced using ResViewerbut it needs sumone with a beter understanding than me to take a look at it. (3) Yes thats OK, simply remove the Seattle and sanfran folders from theREGIONS folder. (4) Not that I know of. (5) Your specs are beter than most.My specs are Win XP, Pentium 4, CPU 3.06GHz, 512MB of RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440.I average 20-30 fps, but thunderstorms drops everyone to the flor.Try useing my cfg, you might fined sum tweaks you dont know about.Its at the botom of this posting.You can always go back to your owne cfg, if you make a backup of yours ferst. (6) The UK-South is very new, and this list of addons is all there is so far.You need to install all of them bicous thay contane so meny new models madespesificly for the UK-south, that peopl are useing thees models in packagesthat hav not cum out yet.So far, very fuwe models from the standered FU3 hav been used. So if you miss a package or tow then futcher packages would not be seen asthe creater intended, if seen at all.It will take you sum time as sum of them are a bit complicated.Its important to install them all, and in this order.(1) gtw1.zip(2) gtwelev.zip(3) heathrow_ai.zip(4) gtw2.zip(5) Lundy.zip(6) gatwick_ai.zip(7) std1.zip(8) atansted_ai.zip(9) the_solent.zip(10) uk.airports_2-pack..zip(11) ukpack1.zip(12) 2models.zip(13) stoneh1.zipThere mus be about 50 aircraft to choos from, if you count the repanets.But only one glider, grrrrr!!.PS, Iv just read your last posting.Dont bother serching for the abuv addons.I will send them to you by e-mail.If thay are too big, Iill send em by post.all the best,glidernut.:-wave

Guest cornclose

Thanks Cristian,That confirms what I thought. Do you know if any plans to extend the coverage ?RegardsChris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest cornclose

Thanks again John for your help and assistance with getting my UK scenery up and running, much appreciated.Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)