Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Weird Problem

I've been tweaking the Big Red Baron for hours now. At first I was a bit puzzled that the changes I saw in the ResViewer window didn't seem to "take". I launched flights in SanFran as well as Seattle and everything looked like it did before I made the changes. I even added some very conspicuous color panels as a test -- they showed up fine in ResViewer but not in the sim. I used the PropEditor to get the back of the blades properly colored but they showed up as black as before. Finally I copied the entire aircraft and pasted it into my stand-alone UK South version of FU3. Voila! Everything I'd changed and tweaked this evening showed, exactly as I'd seen it in ResViewer. I'd even got the prop texturing right, with gray blades when viewed from behind. Then I went back to my main FU3 installation once more and saw the paintjob of yesterday once more.Now, you may think that I've edited the wrong copy and so did I. However, I've checked and rechecked. The Big Red wasn't in my UK South version until I just copied it from the main FU3 folder. The ResViewer path pointed directly to my FU3 plnpile folder and this was where I got the file that I pasted into the UK South installation.Somehow FU3 has kept displaying the old version even though the model has been upgraded little by little all night. Is there some kind of temporary memory retaining the old aircraft model until we reboot? Actually, I tried a reboot to check but everything was the same. Then I copied the Big Red back from the UK South installation, overwriting the file that I'd been working on. Same difference, the copy in the UK South version has all the updates and tweaks of today while the copy in the FU3 main installation looks like nothing has been changed.Mindboggling!Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Don't worry, Hans-Petter, the same thing happened to me during the GeeBee development. In my case it was a folder link that fooled me.Do you have more than one FU3 on your PC? Is the one you were test flying from the original? When you copy FU3 around your PC (to have other versions, UK etc), sure they work but they work because the (copied) internal commands and files are linked to the original version... Huh? Well, say for example FU3 has to know where the 'CD' folder is for scenery. I'd put London to a brick that if you delete your original CDROM folder, your other versions won't work either. Why? Inside FU3, the address of the CDROM folder will still be there from the original installation. I assume the same thing happens with the plnpile folder as well!This added nearly two weeks to the GeeBee development :-( I now copy out of plnpile to a desktop folder and copy back in. It's a bit laborious but every time you go to paste it back you can verify by date and time that it is indeed replacing the correct file. In fact I had this problem last week. I went to paste the Dash8 resfile back into plnpile and it said it was older... I checked and found that while I had upgraded the cockpit from the desktop version, the one with the new sound files was the original! So, I'd forgotten to copy it out. At least I found out before I went crazy trying to figure out why the cockpit was still wrong ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Well, it would seem to me that this is a palette issue. I've copied the aircraft back and forth between my FU3 and my FU3 UK. What I find is that the UK sim shows the provisionary hues that I'm using to pinpoint exactly which part of the texture map colors which part of the aircraft. You mentioned in a previous post that the region's palette somehow modifies the aircraft's palette. Also, when browsing through the aircraft menu I find that the Baron's windows look greenish in Seattle / SanFran while they're orange red in the UK sim.Anyway, I'm going to work on a copy outside of both plnpiles and paste this one into both of them whenever I've made any major progress. Hans Petter

FU3 sure works in mysterious ways -- the culprit was an older backup of my newBR.res that I put in the main FU3 folder. I kept putting the revised versions of the model into my FU3 plnpile and when I launched a flight it seemed like nothing had changed. Then I put the same revised model in my UK South version and saw all the changes. Then I went back to the main FU3 folder, deleted the backup of newBR.res in the main directory and launched another flight. Keep in mind, this backup was in the main directory -- not in the plnpile folder. When I got rid of the old backup FU3 decided to use the new version in my plnpile folder and I could finally check out the latest version. So, somehow an old plane.res may have priority and be displayed, even if it's no longer in the plnpile folder and has in fact been replaced by a newer version which IS IN THE PLNPILE FOLDER! The moral seems to be, don't back up any files within the FU3 main directory since the sim may still "see" the old version.Here's another picture. I use the right wing for experimenting and the left one for applying the final colors. http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9682.jpgHans Petter