Sign in to follow this  

Instrument ID?

Hi All,I thought you all would like to see my paper weight. I was given it by my son-in-law who claims to have removed (nicked more like) it from a derilict aircraft at Southend Airport when he was a lad. He thinks it was a DC3.I have replaced the glass and straightend the needles out. If you look close you can see two parts of the guage that had a needle in each, now missing.My question is: How was this instrument used? as I have not seen one fitted in any aircraft so far.:7

Guest R_Driscoll

My guess is an ADF. But that leaves three needles unexplained.

Guest Rich Wren

I'll agree with that Rob. The needles have the same shape as I've seen on every RMI, it's just missing the compass card behind it to turn it into a true heading rather than relative. You've got two needles so hopefully two Radio Nav channels, they could be used to display TACAN or VOR direction as well as ADF. The insets don't seem to have any scale printed on them so I'd guess they were used for flags rather than needles. These would tell the pilot which input source the instrument was using and/or whether the instrument had failed.It's an interesting piece of kit though, a nice little paperweight indeed. I wonder if it has anything in the way of a part/serial no on it?