Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Going to London... for real

Guest Quaxo

I'll be going to London again, from Aug. 7th to Aug. 12th. I won't have much time - 5 full days are barely enough for a look around - but I'll be bringing my camera with me... Anyone of our 3D building modelers need some photos for their textures? I can't promise anything, but I could try to take some good shots...Cristian

Since I'm working on London City airport anything pertaining to that project would be interesting. Apart from this you may try to photograph some typical London buildings to be used for filling in the residential areas around the airport. It seems that three to four story brick buildings are very common and we might ask Robert to make a few more. (I haven't got beyond making and texturing concrete yet :-))If we get some good background material capturing the look of typical British architecture we could make generic buildings that would fit any of the towns and cities.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hans,I don't know if I'll be able to go to the airport - if I can, I will surely take some "texture-friendly" photos. Anyway, I'll try to take some nice, un-distorted photos of characteristic brick buildings... :-) Actually, US buildings don't fit so well in UK scenery! ;-)Cristian

Guest R_Driscoll

Just if you do get a chance to take photos of Buckingham Pl, Nelson's COlumn, Trafalgar Sq, churches, abbeys, blue telephone boxes, black taxis or whatever, CAN YOU MAKE SURE THERE'S NO PLANES IN THE FOREGROUND !!!!!!Every photo from jetliner and airliner has planes in the foreground. Planes!!! Why planes????? Airports would run a whole lot better without them in my opinion. They muck up all of these lovely texture shots with a whacking great 747 two inches from the lens. I spend 99% of my time removing them, then 30% of my time squaring the texture, 55% of my time un-JPG'ing to get sharp images, 23% of my time getting rid of telegraph poles and ladies walking poodles, and the remaining 40% on building the "e-file". Why can't people shoot pictures properly?(grumble grumble)Have a good trip!(and you don't really have to take pictures! Enjoy yourself!) RobD.

Guest Robs

Rob D,I am here all the time so if you need routemaster buses London landmarks and black taxis then please say and I can get any chrisitan didn't get!!!!!UK Rob.

Guest Ansgar

Hmmmmmmm Robert,=>- 99% of my time removing them, - 30% of my time squaring the texture, - 55% of my time un-JPG'ing to get sharp images, - 23% of my time getting rid of telegraph poles and ladies walking ... - 40% remaining on building the "e-file"----------------------------------------= 247% working capacity ALONE for Fu3!!!Boy that sounds really hard for only having a texture for a boring building front shot! .... and I tought that I

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, and that doesn't include fly-testing time, coffee drinking time, goodnight to kids time, etc.Which proves once again, Ansgar, that building my telephone boxes is far more difficult than your simple 747's.Whoops, maybe I should have said that AFTER the new 747 is released.RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Rob, let's see what Cristian gets first! I think a black taxi would be an ideal job for a GMax person - I think if I did it, it might end up looking like a Mazda.RobD.

Guest qvdg

Hi all, Every year I try to organise an aeronautical outing that gets us off the beaten track a bit. Next weekend I have a flight planned with three others ( in a Piper PA28) to Sandown on the the Ile of Wight then Biggin Hill. The itinerary is the following (weather dependant)Sat 18 (early start lots of coffee) Etampes - Granville (just to check if the customs guy read my fax and decided to get out of bed)Granville - Aldernay (channel islands) - lunchAlderay - Sandown (cheap hotel booked by internet)Sunday: Sandown - Biggin Hill (one of first areas I built by aligning Megatiles by hand before Christian got serious (very !) about building UK South.Return to Etampes not sure of the Itineray yet.Well all this just to say I will have my Digital Camera with me so that we may do some comparisons - real life/FU3. If you have anything in particular you want to see let me know.Ps in my spare time I am still working on the Tigermoth (fuselage taking shape). I have let Bristol go a bit so if anyone would like to see it sonn and is willing to finish it off put your hand up.Cheers QvdG

Guest Quaxo

Quentin,If you can, could you please take some shots of Portsmouth? That's where I stayed last year, I liked it a lot, and have some nice memories of that place... I would like very much to have some good aerial shots of it!... Pleeease!!! It's very near to the Isle of Wight, so shouldn't be too much a problem... ;-)Also some Shanklin/Sandown, Ventnor and Ryde ones woulod be nice... :-)Have a nice weekend... (well, you surely will, you lucky guy!!! ;-) )Cheers,Cristian

Guest qvdg

Hi Cristian, I got snapshots of Alderney, Sandown apprach from North, runway 23- final and hold point, trees along taxiway (no palm trees spotted) tower and general views.I also got abeam Portsmouth, left down wind Biggin hill and Biggin Hill tower (perhaps for Rob)Finally London from track north of Biggin and Thames estuary. I will try to download from my camera tonight. I will only upload if others are really interested otherwise I can mail you directly.By the way we could have got Bournemouth but I was too busy because we got diverted to there as Sandown was not going to accept us as we had to clear customs at a major airport even after having cleared at Alderney ! After paying the 27 pound landing tax I guess I didn't feel like taking photos ;-)Cheers, Quentin

Guest R_Driscoll

I would love to do Biggin Hill!!I mean, this would be my favourite airport to do in all of England! - it reeks of history.I can't for now - for the moment I am suffering from dementia modelis, a well-known short term illness where everthing I look at becomes cubes and lines and points (Picasso had this too - I am in good company). As Arnie said, "I need a vacation". I plan a short break after Cardiff, where I would like to just enjoy other people's efforts for a while - land the new 747 at Clare's Valley, enjoy Lundy Plymouth IOW, check whether the Cascades are still there - and how much of Chris' package can I fit in there, you know the feeling. Don't get jealous! This will give me more time to help out other projects if people need.So for the moment, collect the photos, but no promises!RobD.