Sign in to follow this  

Interfacing with a Palm Pilot?

I realize I may be the only one wanting to do this but I just got a new Palm Pilot and I'm looking for new things to do with it. There are a host of moving map displays for the Palm, some practically free, but they rely on a GPS (even a cheap one) to drive the lat/long. Has anyone explored whether the NMEA output could come from a computer and use FSUIPC to drive the Palm while using Flight Sim? I'm planning to use the Palm in real world flying but this would create an interesting way to become familiar with it.David

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have heard of people doing this before, but I believe with PocketPCs running WinCE... Search the archives for this topic, you might find more info(As a sidenote, you may try searching for Microsoft Roads and *whatever the title of this software is, I can't remember now*, because that was the software they were using.)

David,It really depends on the model Palm you have. The newer ones (M500, M505, M515) all use a proprietary device interface (down where the palm plugs into the recharge/USB cradle. You would need to find a compatible connector tp run from the PC. And, no, the USB cradle wont work for this type of "2 way" communication (don't ask how long it took me to figure that one out). And, of course, Microsoft Streets won't run on the Palm, only handhelds with Windows pocket PC software. I hope this helps. There's a great message board at http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/Hope this helps some, let me know if there's any other questions that you may have,Mike Ocala, Florida