Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

Video Card Question please???

I just have a question I hope that someone can help me with. My computer specs are as follows. I have system that I have built. I have a Abit BX6 rev 2 MB,Celery II 550MHz OC'd to 850, Voodoo 5500 agp video board, 256MB ram, SB Live sound card. It does ok but not great. I see that I can get a Geforce3 TI200 for around $109.99 at Best Buy. I really don't do alot of gaming any more. Just a few sims is about it. I have really liked the FSAA of the Voodoo board. My question is will I gain much at all by getting the Geforce board, with the rest of my system staying the same? I am sure that someone elso has done something simular. Just wondering. Thanks for any help.Ron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Now, this is only my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with that CPU. I went from a V5500 to a GF3 Ti200 on my Athalon 700 with 224 MB ram and didn't notice much difference. The "frame rate" didn't change at all, but it runs a little smoother (I know that doesn't make sense, but it does). However, I see alot of "shimmering" textures with the GF3 that I didn't get with the V5500. So It's kind of a tradeoff. I kept the GF3 simply because it has driver support from the manufacturer, something the Voodoo series will sadly never have again.

"However, I see alot of "shimmering" textures with the GF3 that I didn't get with the V5500. So It's kind of a tradeoff."Have you tried playing with the anisotropy settings to reduce the shimmering? I haven't had much of an issue with my GEF/2, which is less able with anisotropy than the GEF/3. Agree with your other point, too--I went from a Voodoo 3 to a GEF/2. No fps difference, but smoother. No Limits Coaster sim was a different story. Went from 10fps average on complex coasters to 40.... Big advantage which I suspect is due to texture memory... So going from a V5500 may not yield nearly as much, since it's already a decent (albeit unsupported) card.Another word of caution to the thread's author... Installing a GEF on a BX MB is hit and miss. I have an Iwill BX MB (BD100+). Although the board is only AGP 1.0 compliant (as is the Abit), the GEF runs well. But Nvidia will tell you that the AGP 2.0 spec is all they support. I suspect Abit's MB will be alright--they make a good product. The issue revolves around whether the MB had a linear voltage regulator for the AGP slot, which some AGP 1.0 spec boards had. So if you take the plunge, keep the packaging and receipt intact until you feel comfortable with the GeF's stability.Regards,John